Could I stop quarantining my corys early?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Would it be to big of a risk to stop quarantining the corys early?

• YES, I think it would be too big of a risk.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • NO, I don't think it would be too big of a risk.

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I would hold out on the cories and not worry about QT for the shrimp or snails. Acclimation for the inverts needs to be done slowly. If you had a dedicated invert tank there would no issue. Inverts are not affected by fish disease but that doesn't mean they can't be carriers, just unlikely.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
:iagree:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
It's up to you. At 2 weeks I was itching to add my fish to the tank but I decided I would feel better even with just one extra week. It also depends on the source. Since I got mine from a big box store I was worried about introducing something nasty to the tank that didn't show itself while in QT. Which brings me to another point, it also depends on what is in the show tank at the time and if it is worth the risk infecting them.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Since they are so healthy and I have that shipment of shrimp and snails coming, I decided to stop quarantining them. They are now in my ten gallon Betta and neon tetra tank.
;)

GotTanked

30g Planted Barb Tank
Jul 23, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Well I surely wish you success with your new pygmy cories :D They are really cool tiny little guys. Cories are probably the only fish I'd consider in my current tank aside from barbs.

And since you added them to the tank what I am about to say is a moot point :lol: but FYI, my Gold Barbs showed no signs of disease for about 12 days after purchase, and then a full-out gill fluke infection took over and got every fish in the tank. They are just recovering in the last 3 or 4 days. For that reason, and another bout I had with Ich, I came to the following conclusion.

Because I have a QT, I will never introduce a fish to my tank without a 4 week QT period. Dealing with disease in isolated conditions is stressful enough, and with proper precaution, QTing, and care, it's not unreasonable to have a main tank that is completely free of disease for the lifetime of the fish. That's cool with me :)

FSM

Pastafarian
Mar 30, 2008
Georgia
Don't cut corners with quarantining. You are only increasing your chances of having a really bad day down the road.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
The way I see it, once I set a quarantine timeframe, that's it. I don't cut it short, or do anything rash because everything looks fine, because one of those times, it will look fine, and everything will fall apart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store