Crossbreeding Borelli Opal and Non-Opal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jaro58

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

so turns out that I have 3 Apistogramma Borelli Opal females and a Non opal male. I talked to the storeowner I bought them from and he confirmed that the male I bought from him is not an opal male. Now my question is wether they will breed, or even tolerate each other. As far as I know they are only dimorphic and can breed, but I want to confirm. Secondly I have had some trouble with this male specifically. He relentlessly chases the females around the tank and even seems to try to bite them. Every now and then he shows normal peaceful courtship behavior with a female. But most of the time he is very aggressive towards the females. I assume it will get better by time since the females are rather new to the tank.

Happy about any insight on the breeding compatibility of the two variants.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Hi there,

Apistogramma borelli is simply a species, and the 'opal' variant is simply just a color and doesn't affect what species it is. :)

So yes, they can breed.

Reactions: the loach

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with CF's take...the same species can breed (or even possibly within the same genus), "opal" is color variety of the same species...not important when breeding unless you want "opal" genes in your fry...then you may have to breed fry to fry, or fry to parent for a stronger gene pool for "opals" ...it's the mendal inheritence grid...look it up...

Reactions: CichlidFins

Jaro58

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
I agree with CF's take...the same species can breed (or even possibly within the same genus), "opal" is color variety of the same species...not important when breeding unless you want "opal" genes in your fry...then you may have to breed fry to fry, or fry to parent for a stronger gene pool for "opals" ...it's the mendal inheritence grid...look it up...
Thanks,

I thought so too. Just wanted to be sure, I am actually studying Biology and currently focusing on inheritance and genetics. I have realized when it comes down to fish keeping and breeding, experience is everything, books and internet always confuse. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store