Custom 550L Planted aquarium build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

liquidhabitat

Registered Member
Mar 27, 2019
550L Planted aquarium build
We have recently just set up a planted aquarium for our client in London. The client was looking for a heavily planted double island style aquascape in their living space. Any feedback is appreciated (good or bad)!!

Thanks all.

Aquarium Specs:
Tank: 550L or 120gallon Custom Build

Plant List:
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Taxiphyllum Sp. ‘Spiky moss’
Hydrocotyle Tripartita ‘Japan’
Cryptocoryne Willisii
Cryptocoryne Wendtii ‘Green’
Cryptocoryne Wendtii ‘Brown’
Cryptocoryne Wendtii ‘Mi Oya’
Cryptocoryne Pigmea
Anubias sp ‘Nangi’
Rotala Rotundifolia
Ludwigia Repens

Fish list
Cardinal Tetra / Paracheirodon axelrodi x40
Threadfin Rainbow / Iriatherina werneri x10
Otocinclus x 5
Amano Shrimp / Caridina multidentata x10
Mixed Discus / Symphysodon aequifasciatus x6
Asian Glass Catfish / Kryptopterus Vitreolus x5

Our site:
http://www.liquidhabitat.co.uk/

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, that looks nice (for now)! Your discus are small & in a 55g can be stunted after a short while, especially with those other fish & critters...& substrate...

What's your water change schedule like? I raised 1+ inch discus in a 55g bare tank with no other animals, once. I changed 40-70% water almost daily & fed 4-6 times/day. It was exhausting!! & still some didn't grow as well as I'd hoped.

Good luck! Many have tried your way, I did once before, many, many years ago. We were very disappointed with the outcome..

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's a 550 liter tank, so I think should be able to handle the discus,

Personally, I wouldn't do discus, because cichlids,

But I would watch for them potentially eating the cardinals.

I'd increase the number of otocinclus to maybe 25 or more, maybe double the number of shrimp too.

And I'm not sure if I'd put the glass catfish in there, just because in my experience they are kind of skittish, and would just hide all the time anyways.

Otherwise looks OK fplant-wise, I assume if you'll be maintaining the aquarium that you'll be on top of keeping the stems trimmer befor they take over.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oops! Sorry for my lack of reading skills, close to my bedtime lol. I think I'm so used to people trying discus in a 55g I just assumed.

I have seen several adult discus tanks with adult cardinals that worked. 40 is a nice number! I agree more otos would be good. I've never kept glass catfish for dougall's reasons.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
5 glass catfish isn't going to work indeed, they would just be hiding. They need to be in schools... try at least 10 or 12.

liquidhabitat

Registered Member
Mar 27, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback.

Has anyone ever had any trouble with discus and cardinals? We have never found any evidence of discus eating cardinals, just wondering if anyone has encountered this?

Yes we are maintaining this set up!

Yeah we would never usually put glass catfish in our displays but this was a client request. They are surprisingly quite active but yes you are right ideally best kept in a group of around 10-15 individuals. We didn't really want to max out the bioload of the set up as it is a display tank after all, so just stuck with 5 to keep our client happy.

All of your feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to comment and look at the set up :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store