DIY plastic sump (wet-dry)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
just measure from down inside your sump to the top of your aquarium that will tell you how much tubing to buy and no you dont want alot of slack in the tubing just a little. and yea a ball valve is just a few dollars i would pick it up incase you want to slow the flow. make sure you get the ball valve fitting that has a 3/4 inch barb on each end so you can slide your 3/4 inch tubing on it. and get 3 adjustable clamps one for each side of the ball valve and 1 for the return that hangs in the tank it just makes sure your tubing doesnt slide off the barbs and come loose and cause a water leak.
i would wait until the overflow box arrives so you know what size a tubing it needs if it is 1 inch then you need a 1 inch bulkhead for your wet dry filter if its 3/4 inch then a 3/4 inch bulkhead if you wait you wont have to make alot of trips to get this stuff you can do it all at 1 time when you know exactly what sizes since the tubing you cant return if its the wrong size since they have to measure and cut it off the roll.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
just measure from down inside your sump to the top of your aquarium that will tell you how much tubing to buy and no you dont want alot of slack in the tubing just a little. and yea a ball valve is just a few dollars i would pick it up incase you want to slow the flow. make sure you get the ball valve fitting that has a 3/4 inch barb on each end so you can slide your 3/4 inch tubing on it. and get 3 adjustable clamps one for each side of the ball valve and 1 for the return that hangs in the tank it just makes sure your tubing doesnt slide off the barbs and come loose and cause a water leak.
i would wait until the overflow box arrives so you know what size a tubing it needs if it is 1 inch then you need a 1 inch bulkhead for your wet dry filter if its 3/4 inch then a 3/4 inch bulkhead if you wait you wont have to make alot of trips to get this stuff you can do it all at 1 time when you know exactly what sizes since the tubing you cant return if its the wrong size since they have to measure and cut it off the roll.
Got it. I'll wait to get all of that other stuff. Just the cabinets and scrubbies now, and then I'll make a trip to Home Depot when the overflow/pump arrives, and I'll get a ball valve with the clamps and a bulkhead with my line. Thanks so much for all the info! I'm exited to start this!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
post some pics of your build and have fun its really not hard just kinda sounds like it is.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
Cabinets

Just got the cabinets from Target today. It's a sterilite 3 drawer plascic cabinet roller that measures 18 3/4" X 15 1/4" X 26 3/8". It looked perfect, and I like the design a lot. I tried to put my Poret block in it, and it was a bit too small, so I took shavings from my other Poret blocks in there with the block and it fits snugly. Here are some pics:

P9163894.JPG

P9163895.JPG

P9163896.JPG

P9163897.JPG
Block of poret

P9163898.JPG
Block of poret with additions

Hoping to drill holes in them soon, and I'll be looking for a good "sump".

Thanks!

P9163894.JPG P9163895.JPG P9163896.JPG P9163897.JPG P9163898.JPG

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
I drilled one cabinet-the first one- tonight. I used a 1/8 in. drillbit and drilled holes in a 1 in. grid (not all that precise). I left a big space in the middle to make sure the flow will be distributed, tell me if I should have used more/less holes or you think I should fill the middle in:

P9163904.JPG

That's the start! I'll try to drill more tomorrow! Thanks!

P9163904.JPG

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I made my holes about 3 times larger and drilled the entire bottom of each drawer. if you dont get good flow you can always make your holes larger later on.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
I made my holes about 3 times larger and drilled the entire bottom of each drawer. if you dont get good flow you can always make your holes larger later on.
I drilled the holes a little larger (I think 5/32) and also drilled the two other cabinets. I ended up drilling the bottom cabinet with around 24 1/2 inch holes, I hope that I didn't do anything wrong by doing that. Here are the pics:

P9173906.JPG

P9173907.JPG

P9173908.JPG

Hope I didn't drill too many for the bottom, but overall right now I'm just waiting for the overflow box to come and I'm going to make a media run and buy a "sump" this weekend Would a 8-12" high underbed box work as a sump? Saw one at Target but didn't get it cause I was wandering if it would be high enough... When the box comes I'll be off to buy some tubing and get it running!

WeedCali said:
looking good so far

waiting for the finished product
Thanks! I'll be on it soon! Thanks to all!

P9173906.JPG P9173907.JPG P9173908.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store