DIY plastic sump (wet-dry)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
hole pic

the Venturi part you dont need its for adding air into the water stream and you dont want that when you use the pump in a sump. all looks good enjoy your filter !

** also dont forget to drill a small hole in your return that hangs in the tank (the black piece that came with your overflow kit) sit it on the rim of your aquarium and measure about 1/2 inch under the water line on it and drill a small hole in the side of it. just 1 hole, this is to break the syphon when your elecrtic goes out and water starts flowing back down the return line this small hole will help air get sucked in and stop the water from flowing and flooding your sump and floor. you want the drilled hole about 1/2 to 1 inch UNDER the water line i drill mine about 1/2 inch under water line.

hole.jpg

Last edited:

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
the Venturi part you dont need its for adding air into the water stream and you dont want that when you use the pump in a sump. all looks good enjoy your filter !

** also dont forget to drill a small hole in your return that hangs in the tank (the black piece that came with your overflow kit) sit it on the rim of your aquarium and measure about 1/2 inch under the water line on it and drill a small hole in the side of it. just 1 hole, this is to break the syphon when your elecrtic goes out and water starts flowing back down the return line this small hole will help air get sucked in and stop the water from flowing and flooding your sump and floor. you want the drilled hole about 1/2 to 1 inch UNDER the water line i drill mine about 1/2 inch under water line.
Ok, Got it! will do!

P9213927.JPG

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
does the top of the filter have to be below the tube on the bottom of the overflow box? (the tube that outputs the water) How high can it be? I'm just wondering this because I AM having some problems with height, but I should be OK because I can just change the brick arrangements. Thanks so much!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
yes the drain on the bottom of the overflow box MUST BE HIGHER than the top of the DIY filter.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
yes the drain on the bottom of the overflow box MUST BE HIGHER than the top of the DIY filter.
Got it. I'll move the bricks and make it so it works out. Thanks so much! I'll post pics when I'm done.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
Dilemma: Tried and tried and the thing's just too tall. Got all my supplies and the overflow is running at a crawling flow. I have 2 options:

1. Build a stand for the aquarium that's higher than the filter

2. Cut the bottom of the filter (the large bin) off and put the scrubbies in the second bin and not use polyester batting or use it in the first bin.

Which one do you think would work out better?

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
if its to tall you could remove the large bottom drawer and use poly floss on top of the foam pad and use scrubbies in the 2nd drawer will work fine that way also.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
i would definitely recommend modifiying the sump rather than the stand. much less work and still effective.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
Ok, that seems like an idea. What is an effective way to take out the bottom drawer without ruining the rest of the sump? Should I just cut the four legs off, or cut the body:

filter cut.jpg

Ive got everything ready and hooked up- the tube, the Ball valve, the bulkhead, the pump and the overflow could all work, it's just height that's an issue. I'll have new pics come in soon after I figure all this out. I guess that removing the drawer won't degrade the performance that much, and it sounds a lot easier than building a whole new DIY stand or modifying the current one. Thanks to all!

filter cut.jpg

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i would cut it where you marked the picture in BLACK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store