DIY - Root Tabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
thought I would post some before and after pix..
Put the root tabs in on may 26. Just added new ones on June 22.

First the before pix, and then the after pix.
Same plants. Nothing changed but the addition of the root tabs.

Here is a pic of the tank I shot today, Oct 18.
No Co2. 192 watts over 125 gal, 6500K

did nothing but use these root tabs.
added them about once per month.

IMG_5519.JPG

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
If you are still looking for iron substrate additives - red clay balls - please check with "MAS"=Minnesota Aquarium Society.
Karl Schoeler sells the iron powder.
Good luck, and say "hello" to my former fish-fin-buddies.

caall99

AC Members
Feb 24, 2011
I am still somewhat confused here. Regarding clay, is it the powdered form or hydrated malleable form that i should be using with this recipe? I can only find the the large cube of moist "play dough" like clay around here. I doubt allowing the hydrated form of the clay to dry out and harden, and then smashing it with a hammer into a powder is the same as the "powder clay" that i should be buying. Can someone please shed some light on this? I would like to make my first batch this afternoon.

Thanks,
Chris

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
True clay, not synthetic polymer based clay is key. It does not matter if it powder or semi-hydrated, it is the same thing, with differing amounts of water. Powder clay will be easier to mix with other dry ingredients, and allows better control with regards to moisture levels. Because you have to let the DIY root-tabs air dry before submerging, by being dry, they buy you enough time to get the nutrients into the substrate where they are desired.

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
i just got some red mexican pottery clay from ac moore. the brand name is amaco. it was $13 plus change for 5 lbs. a lady in front of me in line had an extra flyer and gave me a coupon so it was closer to $7. i wanted to contribute before asking. so my question is: is this ok? i don't want to find out the hard way that it's not, and i have everything else already so i'm anxious to get crackin' if you know what i mean.
We sell the same Amaco brand pottery clay at Hobby Lobby in case anyone reading doesn't have a JoAnns or AC Moore locally.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
I know this is an old thread, but no one confirmed whether the clay builds up over time. Does it get fully consumed too or will you end up with a mass of clay leftover if you use these for awhile?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store