DIY Spray bar redo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I build a DIY PVC spray bar last year and have been quite happy with it. Except that I can't clean it out. I built a hook on one end to go over the tank out of PVC, and the other end has a cap. I glued everything with PVC cement.

So I've decided to build a new one today. I'm using threaded connectors for easy dis-assembly/cleaning, and the ability to add to and decrease the length as needed. I'll post pics of the old one and the new one later today (I hope), so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

I know a number of threads have talked about simply dry fitting the pieces together, but I really prefer to glue them, just to make sure they stay together.

The only problem I am having now is finding a PVC hose connector. Where are people getting those.

I've also seen YouTube videos of people using clear PVC plumbing. I can't find that easily anywhere. One video said he ordered all the clear PVC from uplastic.com, but that's a dead link now.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
And here's the design.

Disassembled:

Assembled:

With this design, i can unscrew the cap on the left and get a threaded coupler and screw an extra piece on the end to extend it. I can also unscrew the spraybar from it's support and unscrew the end cap and clean the tube out. I'm not really worried about the pipe clogging that goes to the spray bar, but with those small openings in the bar itself, it would be good to get in there and make sure nothing is stuck.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd also get some Krylon Fusion and spray paint it black....

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I'd also get some Krylon Fusion and spray paint it black....
I was thinking about that, but I wasn't sure how well the paint would hold up to constant screwing and unscrewing, as well as white teflon tape.

I'll leave it white for now. I can always paint it later.

An inline ball valve would be nice. I should look into that...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Would the spray-bar be above the water line??

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
If you are going to leave it not painted, you can either get a clear primer, or just use acetone. The only reason they dye it purple is so you can remember if you primed it or not. Just a thought. Also, you really don't need the thread tape, if it leaks a little it will just leak into the tank right?
Good idea switching to the threaded ends though.

Reactions: albertbill21

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
If you are going to leave it not painted, you can either get a clear primer, or just use acetone. The only reason they dye it purple is so you can remember if you primed it or not. Just a thought. Also, you really don't need the thread tape, if it leaks a little it will just leak into the tank right?
Good idea switching to the threaded ends though.
Do I need to remove the purple? It is unsafe for fish in some way?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store