do we have any piranha people on here?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Nov 15, 2004
TorturedSOUL said:
yeah that's it for sure. I thought the head on the red throat was a little different

How did it taste? I always wanted to try one.....If my RBP keeps up his current bad attitude, I might give it a go.....

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
Well it was like 20 years ago but I remember it being really boney..and it wasn't exactly cooked by a gourmet chef.

Nov 15, 2004
Some more pis of some huge blacks
C'mon! just stick your finger in there.... :Angel:

Below = 14" Peruvian Black Rhom (Serrasalmus Rhombeus)

Last edited:

ofarevolution31

da nite jus brings us back together
Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
hah yeah. they dont look scary at all.. they need for pics of pirnaas, al the pics ppl get r from google and they suck and are old, but i do want to try to eat one

jung4g

Registered Member
Aug 22, 2005
I found that my water was very hard, so I slowly changed to softer water. It helped the tempermant of my 2 5" RBPs a lot. Even though we're not supposed to, once in a while, I'll go buy a big Fantail goldfish $2.30 @ lfs and get a group together, up to 10 guys will come to watch... they tear those guys up immediately. The first time, the goldfish swam over to say hello, and one of the piranha's bit his face off. half of one eye, and the entire mouth. And the goldfish just kept swimming like everything was fine, stupid fish.

While these are hardy fish, they will be happier and more fun to watch in some better water, with dim light...

carrera

Registered Member
Aug 25, 2005
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/jhealey/PDR_0098.jpg

I bought a dozen RBP's about a month ago. Over the course of the first 2 weeks I lost most of them to transport death or cannibalism. I now have 6 stable in a 30 gallon at about an inch and a half to 2 inches. They do not eat my live plants , I can easily work in the tank with out them bothering me (I use a net to force them to a corner then work on the other corner of the tank) and they know when they are going to get fed. To minimize algae and enhance aggressiveness I keep my tank lights on very little. Usually 4on, 8off, 4on, 8off. Once I approach the tank and turn on the lgiht they all rise to the top and come forward towards the glass because when i turn on the lights I always feed. If the light doesnt go on they ignore me. As for food Ive been using flakes and frozen blood worms. They like it. Since adding more plants, broken clay pots and driftwood they seem much more aggressive and less skittish. Frequently, I will see 2 less in the tank then ill find them creeping through the leaves of an amazon sword or hiding in the shadows of the clay pots. They rise faster and more aggressive at food then I have ever seen. This could be due to them growing older and gaining more predatory skills but environment could be a possible input for this as well. Im also looking into blackwater extract to murk up the water. Anyone done this yet? Any reco's where to buy and any tips?

To start get no more than 7 no less than 5 and try this set up, its working for me...if i can find a camera ill get some pictures up.

30 gallon
Whisper 40 external
Air Pump w/ stone
50 watt heater
Temp: 78-80
pH: 6.8 - 7.0
Driftwood to add softenness
2 - 3" of gravel
8 live plants incl Amazon Swords, Peruvian Swords, Grasses, Bamboos
2 broken clay pots to add additional shelter
4on,8off,4on,8off light cycle to allow plant life, algae minimization and keep tank dark to add aggressiveness to fish
Feed 2 - 3 times a day as much as they can consumer in 2-3 mins.

Overall, a fun fish to keep. My next step is freshwater barracuda. Im looking for a 55g hex to keep 3 of the RBP when they get to be 4 - 5" and sell the rest. Then raise 3 2" fw barracudas in the 30 until they outgrow.

Last edited:

chuckinwdc

Chuck & Veronica
Aug 31, 2005
Reston, Va.
ofarevolution31 said:
30g-cichlids, red tailed shark,tiger barbs,2 neons, red bellied pacu
What are you going to do with the Pacu once it outgrows that 30-gallon tank you've got him in? I expect that he's already too big if he's more than four months old. They grow fast, and at least over 18 inches in length and easily more than 10 pounds in weight.

Chuck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store