do we have any piranha people on here?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Nov 15, 2004
Its true that many Piranhas (including RB's) are skittish, shy and timid. However, rhoms, both peruvian and venezuelan, (among others like black diamonds, elongatuss, altuvie, irritan for example, in fact, any Serrasalmus piranha is highly aggresive and suggested as single speciman tanks) are very, very, very aggressive and active. A buddy of mine had once had a peruvian rhom in a huge tank, 125g I believe, and it would growl when you enter the room (a growl that could be heard 20+ feet away). The water would vibrate and drip out if the level was high enough. He would attack the glass trying to get the dog that would trot by. He would follow me viciously as I mover around the tank. It was an amazing thing, I cared for it while he was on vacation and I had to use a seperater (a home made one with steel mesh) to clean the tank. If you see the jaws on that guy and the look of the red eye, you would be amazed. It complete tore up his tank; fake plants, heater, airline tubing, structures, filters, etc.... If something was in his path, it was gone the next hour, if not then. After gvacing I would move rocks around, you could hear the rocks scrape the glass as he pushed all obstructions into the corner. His nose had a permant dent that was formed from ramming the glass and decor and rocks....Completely crazy and aggressive beyond belief. The most common thing is that the most aggressive piranha is the one that is the starving. A red belly would not hesitate to tear into anything if he was hungry enough. Just a little info I thought I'd share.

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
I caught a piranha once in Brazil. I wrapped some fishing line in copper wire and then put a chunk of meat on the hook. Dropped it in and had a fish in about 2 seconds. It was then flopping around and I was wearing sandles...that raised the pulse a little.

ofarevolution31

da nite jus brings us back together
Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
hahaha i bet it did.. but anyways. i know at the lfs all they have is golds for cheap. the cheapest besides that is like .99 cents for a fish. any other foods reconmended??

im not a newb, jus want more ideas. we should post pics of our tanks

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Too bad they're illegal in my state..otherwise I'd definitely keep a school of them; preferably in a very large tank with live plants. something in the 300+g range.*drools*

Nov 15, 2004
A) http://www.kencofish.com/states.htm Its a weather factor, they are illegal in states where they can survive in the rivers\ponds\lakes.

B) Just sharing some knowledge. (what little I have to offer, Piranhas are all I know :rolleyes: ) :D

C) Pictures

There are more photos and some short videos in my Member Page

*edit* Those are semi-old pictures, but the new setup is not much different besides he pushes all the plants against the glass and has nipped most of the leaves off of the bigger amazon sword

Last edited:

ofarevolution31

da nite jus brings us back together
Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
yeah. oreon its legal, i guess bcuz they cant live in the rivers and sh*t. idk thanks for ur knowledge. lots of people live where its illegal, but still keep piranhas... u wont get caught but yeah. when i move out im gonna get a huge *** tank wit like 20+ reds. lol i will love that day.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I would love to have a school of Black Diamond Piranhas(Serrasalmus spilopleura)...that would kick ***.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store