Do you buy fish from Petco or Petsmart?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

satanpie

Banana plant addict.
Aug 25, 2007
Long Island NY
www.myspace.com
I am lucky to have 3 great LFS each within 10 mins from my house

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I haven't bought from Petcos because I just haven't liked the look of the fish. I have had good success with Petsmarts though -- including my senegal bichir and African leaf, both of whom have grown from little pixies to ~monsters~.

As a side note, I've noticed that Petcos have started carrying saltwater fish -- I think that's new as of this year, ya?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have but only a couple times. Petcos near me have jars of salt in each tank, Petsmart doses a quick-cure type med in their systems. Neither is something I want without good reason & fish should be acclimated s l o w l y to avoid osmotic shock.

And as BFM said, qt is a must. Especially from places with central filtration, 1 sick fish exposes them all.

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
I never ever ever buy fish from Petco. Never. Nada. The fish I've bought from them in the past have done very poorly. On the other hand, I occasionally buy a fish or two at Petsmart. I can vouch that Petsmart has much better and healthier stock than Petco. I mostly purchase my fish/livestock at LFS's or online. :)

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have...but mainly because it is the only LFS we have...most purchases are online though.

Not uncommon at all to see dead fish in tanks at any LFS though, regardless of size or if a chain or not.

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
We have bought most of our fish from PetSmart and PetCo. We also prefer PetSmart over PetCo. I really haven't found a LFS that I like as well as PetSmart, but will keep looking (because it's fun to do so!).

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
We have a PETCO store in our town that is clean, organized, and attempt to be helpful in-spite of misinformation. You seldom see dead fish and the stock is less than quality. It's a bit of a crap-shoot, at least they honor their guarantees. I do buy from them on occasion.

We do have a PetSmart about 35 miles away and I haven't been in the store in 3 years. The last time there, several dead fish in all tanks, bad information, and poor attitude sales persons made me decide to never go again. It was the worst experience I have had when dealing with a chain store.

Any store is only as good as the management regardless of the name on the outside of the building. To lump all stores into the same category because of their name isn't fair to the good ones.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
have bought from petsmart tho they do have floaters at times & at times sick ick fish. then I wait till next visit.

bought their $1 algae eater/oto/pleco specials just couple weeks ago & QT only 4days treating with lifeguard/jungle clear. but now know that was false sense of security, I should be more patient & QT much longer! some say up to 4wks.

I did buy a great set of silver $ babes, a bala shark & a pacu (a mistake for sure) & did quite well with no illness issues - that is lucky for sure.

my local LFS with central system is guilty of floaters/sickly ones also, so agree doesn't matter who they are, all can have issues.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I like petco's bettas, one of mine is from petsmart and the other from petco.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
We don't have a Petco so I can't comment on them. We do have a Petsmart and I have bought fish from them without any issues. The thing about Petsmart is their stock is always the same. If you want anything different you need to go somewhere else or buy online. We do have a LFS near Petsmart that I like to go to. They get all kinds of interesting stuff and all of their fish look great. The downside is they are very expensive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store