Do you buy fish from Petco or Petsmart?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I don't think one is better or worse than the other. It depends on the specific employees, how knowledgeable they are and how much they care about and know about their job and department.

I've seen lots of employees come and go and I've seen amazing swings in the fish departments coincide with those changes for better or worse.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Petsmart. Just because they have cardinal tetras. My Petcos don't carry cardinals.. :(

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
petsmart is closer by miles for me. only 8min drive, 5mi. away. whereas petco is 66mi away in nyc!

cmfeher

AC Members
Nov 30, 2009
Chadds Ford PA
I buy both from Petsmart and other LFS that are more expensive. I am satisfied with Petsmart. When I see a sick fish, I tell them and they put it in a quarantine tank in the back. I have seen tanks with a lot of dead fish in more expensive LFS. So I do not think we can say that Petsmart is worse than more specialized LFS. Actually, the young salesforce in my local Petsmart have tanks at home and seem to care about where their fish go and ask more questions about the buyer setup.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
a store is only as good as its employees whether its a chain or privately owned.

I don't buy from petsmart or petco because they don't carry what I am interested in and i like to support small business and breeders, not because of their quality.

flemming j

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
California
I bought 2 tiger oscars in the last 3 month total of 4 in 3 month from p**co the santa rosa california store but they died the next day but as for my jack dempsey they are still alive and very active in my 85 gallon fresh water aquarium

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
All the fish I have lost have come from the supposed 'best' lfs in the area(5 out of 6), my petco platy have been strong for 6 months without ever a problem. The dwarf gourami I got from them a little over 2 weeks ago has been a hell of a fish, super active and never scared(even when I vacuum under the stand). Everything eles I have has been from two smaller LFS with no issues(other then the mystery dying platinum molly- 2 of them now).

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
im bored with the fish that my petsmart sells, there isnt a petco within 100miles. i go to home owned stores most often, because they always a have a varying stock.

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
:iagree:
a store is only as good as its employees whether its a chain or privately owned.

I don't buy from petsmart or petco because they don't carry what I am interested in and i like to support small business and breeders, not because of their quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store