Do you care that your hobby is killing ancient environments

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Preposterous

AC Members
Sep 14, 2007
General estimates show approximately 10% world's coral reefs are already dead. It is estimated that about 60% of the world's reefs are at risk due to destructive, human-related activities. The threat to the health of reefs is particularly strong in Southeast Asia, where 80% of reefs are endangered.

The above is cut from wikipedia.

Accept the facts and go back to freshwater!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
...destructive, human-related activities...
Are you sure they're talking about aquarium-keeping? I'm sure that some methods of wild fish collection are harmful, but somehow I doubt that aquarists are the biggest threat to our coral reefs. If anything, they may be some of the strongest defenders---kind of like hunters are generally in favor of environment and wildlife preservation.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Is this a joke?

And i agree with cellodaisy.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Not if you buy tank raised organisms.

Also, Wikipedia is NOT primary literature, and should be used very carefully to state "facts". I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement or opinion, I am just saying that such strong statements should be backed up by primary, peer-reviewed literature, not whatever you find in your Google search.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
another note, Bio is correct, and if you could at least back this up with real info that says that fish keepers are to blame.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
General estimates show approximately 10% world's coral reefs are already dead. It is estimated that about 60% of the world's reefs are at risk due to destructive, human-related activities. The threat to the health of reefs is particularly strong in Southeast Asia, where 80% of reefs are endangered.

The above is cut from wikipedia.

Accept the facts and go back to freshwater!
All I can say, is that your username suits you.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Oh boy...

You're right I should probably take everything back and pick up an African Cichlid tank because we all know that Lakes Tanganyika, Victoria and Malawi have faired so well as a result of the ever so environmentally concious FW hobbiest.

Wikipedia? Seriously? Come on man! I can't speak for the entire hobby/industry but if you look around I think you will see that there is a large contingent of reef hobbiests that are propogating corals from tiny little frags. There is also a number of companies that aquaculture and/or mariculture live rock and corals as well as breed captive raised fish.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
All I can say, is that your username suits you.
:rofl:
I am all for not taking from the wild but as has already been stated most aquarist obtain tank bred and raised stock. Not to mention aquarist are responsible for the continuation of some species after their extinction in the wild Ameca Splendens for instance on the freshwater side of the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store