Do you care that your hobby is killing ancient environments

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

SalmonAfrica

Say what now?
Aug 28, 2009
Johannesburg, South Africa
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Tim
I'm just going to be different at take the OP's side for one second. Ok, so marine aquarists aren't killing the environment, but do bear in mind that not all popular marine species can be bred in captivity, and as a result, will need to be obtained from the wild. Also take into account that not every collecter does so in a sustainable manner. I'm sure that - to some degree - our hobby does have an impact on the environment.

However, to say that that impact is significant enough to list it among pollution and all that other jazz... gosh... it's a preposterous accusation, to say the least.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
All I can say, is that your username suits you.
Howed i miss that...

Nice wording, makes me think its a joke. Hey, OP, is it a joke?

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
this is really silly if its a joke.

our agricultural and fishing practices are much more detrimental to our environment than keeping SW aquaria. does this mean we all should stop eating too?

Salt water hobbyists have done so much to protect the environments they replicate. we also search for methods to propagate fish and coral that had to be solely wild caught such as the green mandarin. I could go on, but I don't have time to deal with the ignorant.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I guess that you also missed the part about companies that make artificial reefs with a high degree of calcium and other reef-friendly minerals and then place them in the ocean to help sustain their environment.

I think you also missed the part about these same companies having a world-wide market of customers wanting these man-made starters to help recover their reefs. They have films of how well they have been working over the last 10+ years and no longer need to wait for the destruction and sinking of large ships and aircraft.

You also need to consider that there are many laws against the harvesting of reef life and some countries make you prove that it came from tank-raised sources. Yes, I am sure there is a black market for them, but the hobby itself is not the main cause of reef depletion.

For future "research" use a library, university, gov't research papers, et. al. not google and Wikapedia.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
mmm wiki knows it stuff, i sure regret everything ive done now....................

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
...And this is why I teach my students that Wikipedia should only be used for settling bar bets, if that. :)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I think it might be a joke, or just an unorthodox (albeit trollish) way of putting this topic up for discussion. Is the aquarium hobby sustainable? Does it hurt the environment more than it helps?

I think the #1 way that it hurts is by introducing non native species into the waterways, such as Hydrilla.

Sometimes I feel guilty for doing water changes on 6 tanks in a drought. I try to conserve water in other ways to offset this. I also use nearly all of my water change water on potted plants outdoors.

Next, there are the fish. It's true that some collection practices are still being used that are very environmentally unsound - the use of explosives and cyanide, which is used in some FW fish also, not just marines. Rather than stop wild collecting fish, we need to press for better collection methods. The same way that we won't ever stop eating meat, even though that would be best for the environment. The best we can hope for is to make it more humane to do so, and to hopefully bring back real farming and farms, not just factory farms where the crops and the livestock are completely separate.

It's the same thing with the aquarium hobby. All we can hope for is that technology and experience will come together to ensure as few fish as possible stay alive at the wholesaler, survive transport and arrive healthy at the retailer, so that we don't "waste" fish - they're going to be caught and sold, no matter what - making it as efficient yet humane as possible, is all we can strive for.

Without reef aquariums and reef aquarists, most people would not know much about these creatures, since many people don't have nearby public aquariums. Knowing them helps to garner interest for their conservation. This is why every aquarium and zoo makes it a point to mention environmental issues.

Just my two cents!

Last edited:

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
It's the same thing with the aquarium hobby. All we can hope for is that technology and experience will come together to ensure as Many fish as possible stay alive at the wholesaler, survive transport and arrive healthy at the retailer, so that we don't "waste" fish - they're going to be caught and sold, no matter what - making it as efficient yet humane as possible, is all we can strive for.

Just my two cents!
FIFY

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store