empty 55 gal -water question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
I very much disagree with the statement that nitrates above 20 ppm is considered "dirty"....
lol. Many of us would. Others would say 10 is... nitrAtes don't really matter, anyway... it's the other, untestable junk we're worried about...

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Most Mbuna and Tanganyika cichlids are going to be aggressive what you will have to do is find an equal balance of mates to place in the setup.. What i would recommend is that you read about Mbuna and Tanganyika and see what you will like or want and post here to see if compatible..

You can google either name Mbuna or Tanganyika and you will get a wealth of info.. Here is a site to get you started http://cichlidforum.com/ click on profile and look up some species.. Also this was one of my faves a long time ago they are still cool place to check out fish profiles.. http://www.aquahobby.com/age_of_aquariums.php

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
:iagree:

And keep in mind both are very different setups. I very much believe that the key to finding a balance for a tang tank is to make use of the specific areas within the tank whether it be the sandy bottom or the rockpiles. Keep any chances of overlapping territories to a minimum IME.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Your well water and limestone rocks should be OK for Rift Lakes cichlids. Some things to consider:
1. If "pretty dense community" means highly stocked tank, then I think you should go with Malawi mbunas; because Tangs need more territorial spaces.
2. I would not put the tank in a place where it receives too much light and/or for too long time. If you want rocks with algae, IMO it would be better to have always some rocks in a container or spare tank at sunlight and rotate these rocks with those of the main tank. For the main tank, artificial fluorescent light is better for a more stable environment; IMO.
3. IMHO, you should not see algae as a substitute for fish foods; prepared with nutritive and well balanced ingredients. These should be the staple foods and algae should be just a supplementary food.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
so if i used one T-5 duel set up on my 55 it will be to much

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
The dual lighting should be fine, in fact alot of people who keep africans do dual setups with one actinic bulb and one regular white, this'll pop their colors better.

I would recommend going tang with your tank, even though I have malawis if I had to start over again I would totally do tanganyika, calvus and comps in my opinion are one of the coolest cichlids you could have, plus a number of shellies and other sand sifters, maybe not as colorful as malawi, but very cool behaviour wise.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
The dual lighting should be fine, in fact alot of people who keep africans do dual setups with one actinic bulb and one regular white, this'll pop their colors better.
:iagree:. Or you can do it with both bulbs being 50/50 (50% actinic blue and 50% white daylight).

A.Reiser

AC Members
Jul 20, 2009
St. Marys Kansas
Wow thanks for all the input!! Well i pulled out my books and did some research and here's what i'm thinking...

I decided to go with Malawi fish because tangs are a little mor sensitive and i thought that for my first try i'd go with the malawis and then maybe later set up a tang tank. I like the idea of the bucket of rocks so i can change out some periodically for the fish for some natural alge-note i don't intend for it to be a real part of their diet, just something nice for them, i plan on feeding a balanced mix of veg and protien to them so i can know for sure what nutrition they're getting :)

Here's the species i'm considering so far, lemme know what you think,

Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty cichlid)
Labidochromis zebroides (likoma island clown)
labidochromis Caeruleus (yellow lab)

that's all i have so far, since the tanks only 48" i don't want to cause too much stress on the fish as far as limited space is concerned. Now my book said that cynotilapia species can go in that size tank, but i have'nt been able to find anything on those type fish...

Also, is it possible for me to have synodontis brichardi or nigriventris in with the cichlids? just wondering:) Thanks again for all the help! it is very much appreciated!

Anna

A.Reiser

AC Members
Jul 20, 2009
St. Marys Kansas
i found some pics of the cynotilapias and theyre cool!!

here's a cynotilapia mbamba

and heres a cynotilapia afra'white top' there's a red top as well.

needless to say i want some of these too! lol

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Sounds good, though I wouldn't mix the labidochromis species, there's a high possibility of them cross breeding, afras are cool, but most have really drabby brown females and only males are the ones with real color. Look for cynotilapia white top haras, the males are really nice in color and females are blue, and they're relatively easy to acquire.

Check here for more mbuna profiles:
http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

Syno cats are fine in an mbuna tank, though if it was me I'd go for a small group of syno multipunctatus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store