English English & American English

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Mocular said:
i say pop and im from Nebraska; soda is a southern,eastern,western,sort of thing evidently
My southern relatives call it "sody-pop". I ask them to pleeeease don't say that when they come visit.
I've always said "coke" and don't have the slightest care whether they serve Coca-cola, Pepsi, or RC.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
Galaxie said:
My southern relatives call it "sody-pop". I ask them to pleeeease don't say that when they come visit.
I've always said "coke" and don't have the slightest care whether they serve Coca-cola, Pepsi, or RC.
I'm from Iowa and know exactly what you mean. My wife calls Sloppy Joe's Taverns and lunch is dinner and dinner is supper.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Roan Art said:
Oh, and most Canadians do *not* say "eh". It became popular AFTER Bob and Doug MacKenzie started staying it. The ony ones who said "eh" before were the Down Easters (Nova Scotia et al) and the Francophones.

Roan
Actually, many westerners say "eh," and have since before Bob & Doug MacKenzie. Where to you think they came up with it? SCTV (pre Martin Short) was filmed in Edmonton, Alberta. :)

Mishi8
who has a pronounced Canadian accent, and is guilty of saying "eh" too often :D

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
mishi8 said:
Actually, many westerners say "eh," and have since before Bob & Doug MacKenzie. Where to you think they came up with it? SCTV (pre Martin Short) was filmed in Edmonton, Alberta. :)
It was? Blargh. I always thought it was in Torana. Heh. It *was* moved there, no?

who has a pronounced Canadian accent, and is guilty of saying "eh" too often :D
Yah, I apparently have a "Canadian" accent as well, but I tell people it's THEY who are not speaking correctly :)

Roan

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Roan Art said:
It was? Blargh. I always thought it was in Torana. Heh. It *was* moved there, no?
Yes, it was moved to Toronto. Why in the world would they want to stay in Edmonton? :laugh: (I'm still trying to figure out why I'm living near Edmonton myself!)

Yah, I apparently have a "Canadian" accent as well, but I tell people it's THEY who are not speaking correctly :)

Roan
Are you starting to pick up an American accent now? I tend to pick up the accents around me...and tend to change a bit even regionally in Canada...I used to sound more like a Winnipeger when I lived there, now I think I sound like I'm a true Albertan. :)

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
mishi8 said:
Yes, it was moved to Toronto. Why in the world would they want to stay in Edmonton? :laugh: (I'm still trying to figure out why I'm living near Edmonton myself!)
Hey, Edmonton's cool :)

Are you starting to pick up an American accent now? I tend to pick up the accents around me...and tend to change a bit even regionally in Canada...I used to sound more like a Winnipeger when I lived there, now I think I sound like I'm a true Albertan. :)
OMG I sure hope not! I've been trying not to do that. I don't want an American accent, that's for sure.

My husband sounds like a Southerner every time he gets off a conference call. It's hilarious :)

Roan

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I had 2 thoughts overnight.

1. my word of today is titchy

2. not necessarily to do with the language.. but pancake day is celebrated in England...

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
dougall said:
I had 2 thoughts overnight.

1. my word of today is titchy

2. not necessarily to do with the language.. but pancake day is celebrated in England...
You mean Pancake Tuesday (aka Shrove Tuesday)? We observe it in Canada too...well, that is, those people who observe lent do. I remember it being a bigger deal when I was a kid. Because we have such a diverse community now, it isn't observed as widely. :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It was pancake day or pancake Tuesday depending on the area.

perhaps I'm just hankering for a good old pancake race.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store