English English & American English

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
While listening to music on my way home, I'm left wondering why some music doesn't make it big stateside..

She was a rum old slapper
and we always tried to get her
pants off when she phoned
Love is the Law
from
The Seahorses - Do it yourself

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
i think the most phrase that changes most in meaning is the term "blew off". here in american english if a girl blew you off during the date then she left you alone and you had a poor evening. but in english english if your date blew you off during your date you are having quite a good evening.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
English people try not to follow through

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I get swamped with Americans making fun of my Canadianisms.

American/Canadian
Sweats/track pants
Sneakers/runners
line up/in line, queue
pants/trews, trousers
couch/chesterfield
hat/toque
soda/pop
candy bar/chocolate bar
zee/zed

Tons more I can't think of right now because I've gotten so used to correcting myself.

Except for a few nouns like soccer, football, fanny, bonnet, boot etc.,. and some Francophone words, much of Canadian English is the same as English English.

Oh, and most Canadians do *not* say "eh". It became popular AFTER Bob and Doug MacKenzie started staying it. The ony ones who said "eh" before were the Down Easters (Nova Scotia et al) and the Francophones.

Roan

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
lol..I bet you Canadians get tired of us Americans saying 'eh?' to you all the time, eh?

ladygwen

saltwater newbie
Jan 13, 2006
NW Pa
:idea: How about all the differences in the names of foods in England vs. America

Ladygwen

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Slappy*McFish said:
lol..I bet you Canadians get tired of us Americans saying 'eh?' to you all the time, eh?
Eh? Oh, go slap a trout or two :D

My nick name in college was "Hosette". NO, it's the feminine form of "Hoser" not the girlie who walks the streets ;)

Roan

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
ladygwen said:
How about all the differences in the names of foods in England vs. America
There is no difference in names.. they're completely different foods.. !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store