Favorite Author/Book?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
daveedka said:
Any Star Wars book (I've read over 20, but don't even know anymore how many are in print)

. . .

I Didn't particularly like Stephen King, I agree he is a great Author, but he took my mind to places I didn't want it to go.

Dave
My husband has at least 100 star wars books!! They are most definately still in print, though I'm not sure how new any of them are... he goes in spurts getting them either from amazon.com or from barnes and noble!

May I ask where Stephen King took your mind to? I find him very thought provoking and deep - not kerouac deep - but a deep that I can follow...

Penfan66

Posticus Rareus
Sep 22, 2005
Sylvania, Ohio
Anything by John Steinbeck. He is the greatest American author, IMHO.

East Of Eden
Grapes Of Wrath
Tortilla Flats
Winter Of Our Discontent
In Dubious Battle
Cannery Row

All of these stories amazed me by the way Steinbeck could reach out to the reader and the vivid picture I could paint in my mind.

Absolutely Amazing!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I very rarely read fiction anymore but I've always enjoyed Clive Barker's books.
'Imajica' has to be my favorite by far. 'The Damnation Game' comes in second.

'Swan Song' by Robert McCammon is another favorite of mine.

flyingfish

time to play!
Dec 26, 2004
I'd forgotten about East of Eden, that was a really good read. I love to read the Bible every day too, but I kinda thought that was not a discussion for this board.

:OT: I do find it interesting that Hitler became who he did because he couldn't get into art school. His life proves that intelligent people can make stupid decisions the same as stupid people. (intelligence and wisdom are very different animals) ;)

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Well, I don't really have anything new to contribute, so many of my faves are all ready listed.

Poe, Stephen King, Piers Anthony (Xanth books as well, I love the puns), Anne Rice, the Bible, anything pertaining to horror, fantasy, history, and true crime.

I could go on and on because I will read anything that I can get my hands on, really. When I was a kid I would read the encyclopedias and dictionary for fun. :eek:

Oh, and anything having to do with King Arthur or the Celts, etc.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Penfan66 said:
Anything by John Steinbeck. He is the greatest American author, IMHO
Oh, this could be a fun separate debate thread. Personally, I know in my heart of hearts that Lila Boffins is the greatest American author. My second choice would have to be Hemmingway though. Sure, he wrote like a drunk (I mean, he was) but hey, his work is just on another level. I am talking novelists here. If I had to go with Poetry, Carl Sandburg is by far the greatest American Poet to have ever lived. Obviously, all art is subjective. =)

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Many good ones already mentioned Heinlein, Anthony, Barker

Some of my favorites not yet mentioned:
Dr Seuss
Frank Miller
Elmore Leonard
Andrew Vachss
Brothers Grimm

Had to pick a favorite it would be Vachss.

conbrio

AC Members
Nov 5, 2004
Mid TN
"HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams

and

"Ender's Game" Orson Scott Card

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
definitely Robert Ludlum....:cool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store