fin rot. What to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
crazy4beadz said:
Will have to correct myself with this one, talking over with my husband, (guess we are not on the same page here lol) he does use a water conditioner .. Brand: TetraAqua " Aqua Safe" Neutralizer for chlorine,chloramine, and heavy metals harmful for fish.
You might want to switch to a different brand. Some of those "heavy metals" are not really harmful at all and your plants will need them.

ok, We tested our tap water as told, everything looks ok, nitrites were high.
Could you post those numbers, please?

We are using fungus eliminator by JUNGLE. We purchased that for the fin rot.
Argh. Does it have ingredients on the label at all? Jungle does not post any of their ingredient lists on their web site and IMHO anything that says "not safe for crustaceans" is suspect.

We added in the algae remover, because we noticed the growth on the inside walls of the tank. Was said on the bottle that it creates a slime protection.
I'd recommend against the use of any algae removers. They often do more harm than good. The best way to get rid of algae off the glass is with a scrubber.

If you are having an algae problem, then there is an nutrient imbalance in your tank and that should be addressed rather than using chemicals. CO2 is a start and once we get those KH and GH numbers on your tap water, the sooner you get your plants happy again.

Now, what are you using as a check valve in your CO2 airline tubing? If you are not using one, please let me know asap. It's important.

Roan

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Brand: TetraAqua " Aqua Safe" Neutralizer for chlorine,chloramine, and heavy metals harmful for fish.

You might want to switch to a different brand. Some of those "heavy metals" are not really harmful at all and your plants will need them.
OK. will do that

ok, We tested our tap water as told, everything looks ok, nitrites were high.

Could you post those numbers, please?
Typo on my part "Nitrates"
Tap water:
ammonia 0
nitrate 10
nitrite 0
ph 7.5
when added to aquarium, numbers changed to
ammonia 0.25
nitrate 5
nitrite 0
PH 7.2

We are using fungus eliminator by JUNGLE. We purchased that for the fin rot.

Argh. Does it have ingredients on the label at all? Jungle does not post any of their ingredient lists on their web site and IMHO anything that says "not safe for crustaceans" is suspect.
Im going to bit myself for this one. We were using the fizz tablets, and threw the box away :sad:

I'd recommend against the use of any algae removers. They often do more harm than good. The best way to get rid of algae off the glass is with a scrubber
. I used the scrubber (the magnetic one), but those hard green dots are so hard to get off especially near the bottom of the tank where we cant reach.So we thought the algae eliminator would do the trick. I will put that on my do noy use list :)

If you are having an algae problem, then there is an nutrient imbalance in your tank and that should be addressed rather than using chemicals. CO2 is a start and once we get those KH and GH numbers on your tap water, the sooner you get your plants happy again.

Now, what are you using as a check valve in your CO2 airline tubing? If you are not using one, please let me know asap. It's important
I dont think my husband uses one. in one bottle we have the recipe for sugar yeast water, the other bottle we have water, and we leave it from there until it stops producing the gas. Then he repeats the process. We have no tests on how much goes in. Once again, we put that on the side for now.

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
My observations this morning:

Water parameters still the same. ammonia went down!! i see more af a yellow color now still a very little tint of green. So now around 0.10 . Improvement so far. I will continiue with another 20% water change today.

The white filmy webs on fish is looking better. I see no white spots on any fins. I did have to humanely euthanize my angel fish, along with my cory. Its something i did not want to do, but they looked terrible, weak, didnt eat.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
crazy4beadz said:
when added to aquarium, numbers changed to
ammonia 0.25
nitrate 5
nitrite 0
PH 7.2
Tap water good, tank water bad. Something is futzing with your bacteria. How long ago did you stop treating for the fungus?

If anyone else is reading this and has Jungle Fizz tablets for fungus, please check the ingredients and post them here. Thanks.

Im going to bit myself for this one. We were using the fizz tablets, and threw the box away :sad:
It's possible the bloody ingredients aren't even on the box :rant: Jungle makes me mad. They do that a lot.

Without that info we'll have to go on the assumption that your biofilter has been compromised. Do a 50% water change today and tomorrow and see how the ammonia stands. If the nitrites pick up, then more water changes.

. I used the scrubber (the magnetic one), but those hard green dots are so hard to get off especially near the bottom of the tank where we cant reach.So we thought the algae eliminator would do the trick. I will put that on my do noy use list :)
I have a couple of those and use them to get the spots I've missed after I scrub the tank walls during my water changes. Have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom of the tanks, but it works :)

You can also try dosing with Flourish Excel. It's an "unofficial" algae killer and good for the plants. It'll also help while your CO2 is out of action.

I dont think my husband uses one. in one bottle we have the recipe for sugar yeast water, the other bottle we have water, and we leave it from there until it stops producing the gas. Then he repeats the process. We have no tests on how much goes in. Once again, we put that on the side for now.
Okay, so you have a CO2 generator and an airline tube to a bottle filled with water, then another tube going into the tank, right?

Good. That rules out your fish being drunk :joke: Smart cookie husband :)

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
crazy4beadz said:
My observations this morning:

Water parameters still the same. ammonia went down!! i see more af a yellow color now still a very little tint of green. So now around 0.10 . Improvement so far. I will continiue with another 20% water change today.

The white filmy webs on fish is looking better. I see no white spots on any fins. I did have to humanely euthanize my angel fish, along with my cory. Its something i did not want to do, but they looked terrible, weak, didnt eat.
Good!

I had my reply half typed and had to go change a CO2 bottle, so you posted before I did :)

Change 50%. Kill the ammonia good :)

Roan

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
My last dose of the fungus eliminator was 2 days ago.

I will do another water change today.

Okay, so you have a CO2 generator and an airline tube to a bottle filled with water, then another tube going into the tank, right?

Good. That rules out your fish being drunk Smart cookie husband
Still not sure about the generator part.( I dont understand the Co2 thing, i leave that to my husband. i will post pic in a minute.

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005

Boohoo

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Bridgewater,Nova Scotia
Roan Art said:
If anyone else is reading this and has Jungle Fizz tablets for fungus, please check the ingredients and post them here. Thanks.

Roan, I don't have the Jungle Fizz Tabs, so I don't know if this will be of any help, but here are the ingredients in the bottle of Jungle Fungus Eliminator.

sodium chloride, nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
crazy4beadz said:
Nicely done. Give yer hubby a hug for the fishes :)

See, the icky bottle has the yeast stuff that produces the CO2. The CO2 goes through the one airline and into the water that is in the second bottle. That bottle has two functions:

1) it acts as a bubble counter so you can tell how much CO2 is coming out of the generator
2) it collects all the crap -- fermented yeast -- that will drip out of the generator with the CO2

After the CO2 passes through the water in the second bottle, it collects under the cap and goes into the next airline and directly into your tank's diffuser.

If you do not have that 2nd bottle, that fermented yeast will get into your tank and make your fishes sick.

Check valves can fail, so I've learned, and it's best to have the "bubble counter" or "wash bottle" instead.

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Boohoo said:
Roan, I don't have the Jungle Fizz Tabs, so I don't know if this will be of any help, but here are the ingredients in the bottle of Jungle Fungus Eliminator.

sodium chloride, nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate
Probably the same stuff. Thanks, Boohoo.

Only one looks unfamilar to me. I'll do some checking (unless someone else knows this stuff and gets to it first) and see what I come up with.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store