fish go into shock whenever light is turned on

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
fIsHy13 said:
yep, but its not just the light thing i am worried about anymore. starting today, they have become very scittish whenever i open the canopy/lid of the tnak, and whenever i dip my fingers in the water. They will dart around as if they are being chased , some near the top of the water, some hiding under anything. Howver they do not become scared when i lightly run my fingers across the glass, they even follow it. Except one guy, who does become scittish. I have noticed they are quite listless sometimes too. There is one fish i am worried about who i bought a few days ago. This afternoon i found her floating in the weeds. Thinking she was dead, i tried to net her, but of course she moved. She is the scittish of all. There are no physical signs of disease on them, so i am guessin this is internal. But they all have enlarged gills that flap constantly. Sometimes, just sometimes, they will go up to the top of the tank and gulp the surface water. They will swim away when they have had enough. What is up with my fish?

BTW, when i did a water change a few days ago, i added this stuff called PROPER PH and it changes the ph of the water to the ph mollies like. Could this be anythin to do with it?
Could be a parasite that affects the gills, eg gill flukes. PraziPro should take care of that too.

My fish, when they were sick, became skittish when I was near the tank too (not just when lights were on.) Got better when they returned to health.

How drastically did you change the pH? Has the pH shifted back again, and how quickly? Mollies should be able to adjust to any pH, as long as it's stable...no need to use chems like Proper pH.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
would i be able to see the gill flukes actually on the gills? when i come to think of it, there WAS something small and brown on one of the fishes...

about the PH, i noly thought i was doing the best thing for my fishes when i added it, and the packaging said 'essential for fish health'
those things can really rip you off sometimes

and, something i probaly should of mentioned in my last post, is that the packaging also said to not use when there was amonia present in the water

i just did a 20% water change though, so its pretty unlikey that there is amonia

some one please tell me if i'm wrong :help:

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
i've had this freshwater tanks for months and months now, and so its caused me more greif than joy
i think i might go bak to goldfish when all my molles die

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
hey i've just looked on the internet about gill flukes and it says that a fish's gills will become pick and mucusy. my fishe's gills are pink, but i can't tell if they hav mucus on them

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
i keep on reading more and more stuff about gil flukes on the net, and i defiantley thinking that this is the problem my fish have now. I've read that salt treats it, but i'm not sure. :huh:

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
another thing i think they have is chinodonella, and i think just one of them might have this thing called MILKY SKIN
but none of the sytoms in these dieseases say that skittishness is one of them :help:

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
I doubt that salt will be effective against flukes. If you think it is parasites, then try why not try PraziPro & Metro, or medicated food? It can't hurt, and at least you'll be trying something.

Gena575

AC Members
Feb 7, 2006
I reread the thread and you haven't mentioned testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Can you test and post that along with your pH in the tank and your tap? Something isn't right and the fish are stressed over something. The gasping/gill flapping thing makes me think you have elevated levels of nitrites.

The only other thing I can think of is your light making a hum or vibration the fish can feel, but they should quickly get used to that I'd think.

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
hey fishy what's up,

could you give us the ammonia / nitrite / nitrate readings please? Do not use stuff like proper ph, If possible check the KH (carbonated Hardness) so your not fluxuating too much with the PH.

Mollies do better with a little salt added to the tank, i would add a teaspoon per gallon (take plastic cup with tank water and add howevery many teaspoons per gallon of your tank) and slowly add some over the course of the day. make sure to just add a little bit of the plastic cup at a time i use a 9oz cup and add about 1/8 of a cup and come back to add some in about an hour.

Sorry to hear about your problem fishy. Mollies are pretty hardy and hopefully this will work out. I personally would turn the light on and leave it on for at least an hour. turn the light on and stick your hand in the tank and make sure you don't feel any tingling. Good luck....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store