Fish in Cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishyfriendzz

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2018
hey! I’m new to the forum and I just got into fish and tanks, and I will be getting a 10 gallon tank and I’m planning on getting a platy, 5 zebra danios, and 3 ghost shrimp. Is this too much for fish in cycling?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That is a lot for an uncycled tank. I wouldn't be against keeping the 5 zebra danios in there by themselves, but you should do daily water changes to keep ammonia to a safe PPM and until you know the tank produces nothing but nitrates. This will take 4-6 weeks of daily water changes (50%) and be a "silent" cycle where you should never see unsafe levels of ammonia or nitrite, until the point nitrate shows up.

The the problem is, do you want to keep those zebra danios in the 10g? If so, you're limited on what else you can effectively keep in there.

If you can find some seeded filtration media or a mesh bag full of seeded gravel to use in this tank, your nitrogen cycle will be almost instant.

You do need a quality dechlorinator and a liquid test kit for the process and for the hobby in general.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
please don't make multiple posts on the same topic. It will NOT help you get answers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store