Frosty's 10 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarStruck8

AC Members
Jun 9, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Lindsay
Both versions look great!

wobbz

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
awesome.

i bought 3 bags of eco which im gonna be switching with in my 55g from gravel to that.

hopefully I don't have that kind of issue :p

i'll let you know how it turns out

FrostyNYC

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Queens & LI, NYC
Thanks for all the praise, everyone. I appreciate it. :) I've learned a lot from looking at other people's tanks and learning from their mistakes. And I'm no where near done learning.

awesome.

i bought 3 bags of eco which im gonna be switching with in my 55g from gravel to that.

hopefully I don't have that kind of issue :p

i'll let you know how it turns out
Wobbz,
I'm sure your eco will be fine. However, just be aware that over the last two years, the quality of eco has degraded. I would test one bag first and hold onto your receipt. CaribSea (the company that makes eco) will replace it if you send them photos of poor quality, though. At least, so I've been told. But even if it's not pure black, it's still a great substrate, grows plants really well, is easy to plant in, and doesnt cloud the water when stirred.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Cool! You don't see too many high-tech 10G. I'm sure it would be quite a challenge in the long term.

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
My lighting is the USA Current Satellite fixture running 40 watts of 10,000k/6,700k lighting. It's sufficient to grow pretty much anything I want in this tank.
I've been looking at these lights for my setup. Did you order your lamp separately? I haven't seen the 10k/6.7k setup in the configs listed at stores. They all list the "smartpaq" with the 10k/7.1k blue lamps.

S

LuciferSam

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
Yep, its Amazonia, and yep its Type 1. :) I've heard horror stories of even Type 1 melting into mud though, unfortunately. So far, it's kept its shape, although it's definitely easily crushed, so I won't be moving my hardscape around much at all. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, Type 1 is pretty dust lol, in the begining, right now i'm running it in my 20 gallon planted,(no Co2) and in my 135gal. Here in houston there is an ADG rep center, so you can buy it at wholesale from them... which helps when you need 12 bags of the stuff.

FrostyNYC

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Queens & LI, NYC
Cool! You don't see too many high-tech 10G. I'm sure it would be quite a challenge in the long term.
This tank has been up and running for almost a year and a half, actually. The only issues I ever had were hair algae when I stopped dosing dry ferts. I went back to dosing dry ferts, and the issue cleared up. I would definitely have a larger tank, but I have space limitations. And I love nano fish and shrimp too much anyhow.

I've been looking at these lights for my setup. Did you order your lamp separately? I haven't seen the 10k/6.7k setup in the configs listed at stores. They all list the "smartpaq" with the 10k/7.1k blue lamps.

S
Yea, I had to order the Sunpaq bulb seperately. I still have the original Smartpaq bulb in case I ever go non-planted. I'm sure they'd make neon tetras really pop. I've heard that if you call some of the online stores like Drsfosterandsmith, they'll switch out the bulb for you for free. If you decide to go with this fixture, try that and let me know what they say. I really do like this fixture, and the moonlight is a great added feature.

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
I've heard that if you call some of the online stores like Drsfosterandsmith, they'll switch out the bulb for you for free. If you decide to go with this fixture, try that and let me know what they say. I really do like this fixture, and the moonlight is a great added feature.
I was thinking about ordering from marinedepot. I sent an email to them about the switch out. See how that goes.
About that moonlight... is there a separate switch for it? Is it white or blue? The manufacturer website is pretty vague about the moonlight.

Thanks!

FrostyNYC

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Queens & LI, NYC
The moonlight is a very very dim white light but there is a bluish cast. It's so dim that its difficult to perceive the color. It's just one LED. It still allows your fish to sleep. My endler fry collect under it in a little shoal at night, directly under the moonlight, whereas my adult fish sleep along the bottom and in the plants.

There is no seperate on/off switch, so its on whenever the fixture is plugged in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store