Goldfish and?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

chsscott

AC Members
Aug 19, 2007
The 2 goldfish are 2 years old and the other goldfish is about 1 year old. I got the two older fish at an anniversary party; they had goldfish in bowls on all the tables. The fish were silver then and probably 1/2" long. They're ~3" long now.

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
so basically the fish are always stunted...sigh...poor goldies
make sure they are getting frequent water changes and make sure there is no ammonia in the tank, short of getting a bigger tank its the best i can offer.
regardless, don't add anything else to the tank. the best thing to deal with algae is a scrubber and ur hand.

chsscott

AC Members
Aug 19, 2007
In the future I'd like to buy a >20 gallon or so tank. I've been shopping around a bit, but I have other things in life right now like school and vehicle repairs that take priority over the goldfish.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
then why have them? The simplest thing to do would be to bring them to a LFS to take them off your hands. You might say you'd rather not because of where they will wind up, but really where they go is nothing better than staying in a 10 galon tank that's about to be more inappropriately stocked.

Onto the question, you shouldn't add anything to the tank because of the fact that goldfish are a colder water tank and plecos and algae eaters are mostly tropical. Anything that is commonly found is tropical and/or will outgrow that tank on their own, let along being with goldfish. Aside from the water temp factor, there is also a diet issue. Coldwater vs. tropical water fish require different diets.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Maybe the OP got them before knowing they needed a larger tank?.
Worth a try, advertise for a free tank on craiglist.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if you don't have the time or money to take care of the fish you have, why are you going to get more? save up for a big tank instead of making your life harder by adding more fish to the tank.

Mr. U

Can I have a cookie...pweeeze?
Oct 18, 2006
California Central Coast
I got 4 goldfish in a 55 gallon with 4 cory cats. I am in the process of upgrading them to a 90 gallon tank. The shubunkin inthe current tank is about 6 inches and the lion head is about 5 or more, so it's time to big :) I have 2 HOB's on the tank for right now. I will be using one of the HOB's (mebbe both) with a cannister filter that's been unused in the garage (overkill rocks!) :) If parameters allow, I would like to see a couple of Hillstream in there.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
In the future I'd like to buy a >20 gallon or so tank. I've been shopping around a bit, but I have other things in life right now like school and vehicle repairs that take priority over the goldfish.
Think of them as dogs, or cats if you like them, would you lock 3 dogs in a closet in their own filth and drastically shorten their lives to about 6 mos- 1 year?
Or lock 3 cats in a cage in their own filth and drastically shorten their lives to about 6 mos- 1 year?
I really hope the answer is no. So why do it to other living creatures? They haven't done anything wrong to derserve having to live in cramped conditions, or to go through all the pain of stunting, or live very, very short lives. If nothing else-you won't give them up or buy a big enough tank-why not a nice pond? they are alot cheaper than a tank.
a pre-formed 150gal liner is alot cheaper than a 150gal tank ;)
and ponds look very nice, plus you could have a small tropical community with your ten gallon. Healthy, happy fish are alot more fun ;)

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

chsscott

AC Members
Aug 19, 2007
Fish are animals too, just like the cows, pigs, etc you eat on a daily basis. I don't need to hear people preaching about quality of life of a freaking goldfish. They're not dead, they're not going to be dead soon. I'm not locking them in a closet, and I'm not dropping 250 on a tank or more for a pond for some feeder fish. The idea of the sucker fish was to help balance their algae in the tank so the goldfish aren't in a dirty tank. Not to cram as many fish as possible into the smallest tank possible.

Look how pathetic and crammed in there the fish are. It's EXACTLY like 3 dogs in a closet. I'm going to take a picture of 3 dogs in a closet for comparison.

Last edited:

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
those are goodlooking healthy fish but the thing that dosent make sense is you said they are 1-2 years old. none of those fish in that pic are that old or even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store