Goldfish Babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Now.. I just keep feeding them. Wait and see how many will grow up. A real high percentage of fry don't make it through the first month for one reason or another. So that's expected. All I can do is hope it's nature's choosing and not something that I've done wrong as that happens.

Once they're big enough that I can SEE them again inside that net/box, I'll be a lot happier about this. Keeping the water clear in those small glasses was a lot of extra work for me. But the upside to that was having such a simple, magnified view of them that I could see what was happening. I could tell which ones needed to be culled right away because they came out severely bent or twisted.. I could spot the slightest bit of fungus before that got out of control.. I could see when they had full bellies and tell when they needed to be fed again. In the tank now, the water flows through the netting gently. It stays clean well enough, but I can't see them now. I can't tell how much food gets rinsed away or falls through the bottom. So I tend to feed more of it, just as often still. The big fish must remember how good that baby food tasted. Every time I'm there to feed the fry, the grown ups come up to the box and suck up whatever they can get through the screen at the bottom.

This is more complicated now too. I'm not only dealing with one spawn anymore, but two. I continued to collect other hatched fry from the tank that had reached the free swimming stage whenever I could find one. Those are all with the rest of the fry in the breeder net. When Cassandra spawned again, I left all those eggs alone. I had my hands full with what I was doing already.

Well now... some of those eggs have already hatched. There's a whole new crop of baby fry for me to get out of there. I've collected 10 of them today... They're just a day or two old.. still have yolk sacs and they can't swim yet but they dart around. The ones who make to the top edges rest against the glass. That's when I can either net them or suck them into the dropper. I've been putting them in with the others. What this means is the whole tank is full of these creatures at all stages. There are still unhatched eggs in all the plants. Fallen eggs and newly hatched fry are on the substrate.. getting eaten or buried, or both... who knows. It'll be 2 weeks before I can vacuum that sand again. My tank has been trashed - almost all my plants got uprooted and are floating at the top. I dare not disturb anything in there now. So many babies who are too small to swim are clinging to the plants and glass. To keep up with small water changes, I'll use a pitcher to scoop the water out and a bucket where I can check it before that goes down the drain.

Meanwhile.. I'm hatching brine shrimp and setting up some new tanks.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
looks great! Congrads!!! That is stunning. Wouldnt some of the babies be wakin if they are from a fantail and a comet? I would love to be on the list for a baby if you would like to get rid of some. Also I am waiting for the midnights to be ready from flarringshutter. LOL
I've been in contact with a breeder in Hawaii.. so I have a much more definitive answer to this question now.

The genetics of crossing comets and fantail should be pretty straightforward. Should be about 50% with double tails and 50% single tail. You will probably be able to tell the difference in a week or so. Let me know if you bother to count how many of each. You can't predict color for red and white metallic goldfish, but it is often about 50% red, 25% white and 25% red/white. Since goldfish are named (by variety) based on what they look like and not their parentage, there is no such thing as a goldfish mutt. The offspring from a cross of two varieties are often a little stronger than either of the parents.
So yes.. the single tails with slender bodies will be comets. And the double tails will either be wakins or fantails, depending on body type.

I'd also asked about keeping the comets and fantails together in the same tank... I intended to separate them by variety, as I had compatibility concerns about the longer, faster "pond" coments housed together with fancies. But since then, I've noticed how well they get along together in the same tank. Here was his reply to that.

There should not be a problem with comets, wakin and fantails together either. I think of fantails as sort of a transitional variety between the long-body hardy varieties and the fancy varieties.

Last edited:

esparonisproud

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
hey nice!!!!!!!! my goldies have started showing signs of mating!!!!!!!!!! i would put sum pics but i dont kno how =[ can nyone help me??

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
hey nice!!!!!!!! my goldies have started showing signs of mating!!!!!!!!!! i would put sum pics but i dont kno how =[ can nyone help me??
That's wonderful, esparionisproud.. congrats! This is really exciting.

1. To include pics inside your post, click on this icon
if it's uploaded already somewhere (like at photobucket or a blog you might have) and paste the photo's URL in the pop up box.

2. Or... to attach pictures at the end of your post, use the "go advanced" button when you reply. Scroll down below the message text, then click on the "manage attachments" button. That let's you upload your pics here directly from your hard drive.

When I want to embed photos inside the message, I usually upload them first to one of my photo albums on my member profile page. That lets me tie them in better with what I'm talking about. Let's me keep the comments and the photo together. Otherwise, I'll just attach them at the end of my post because that's easier.

Please feel free to share your own photos and experiences here if you want. I don't mind at all. This thread isn't an article or some "how to" for breeding goldfish or caring for goldfish fry. I'd rather it be an open discussion between us all. We all benefit from each others advice, questions, and experience.

Thanks everyone!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Hey.. that's really good. Thanks, Lupin!

Well.. I generally make long posts about everything else. So I guess one more isn't going to hurt. lol. Most people just scroll down through them anyway. :)

Wow, you have a ton more babies than I did/do. Anyways, here is a crummy cell phone pic of my fishlet tank. There are 21 of them now...I started with 25 hatchlings...from about 50 eggs. There is also a small clean up crew of ramshorns (10 or so) who have been in there since they were a couple of weeks old.

They have been in here since they were still eggs (transfered). I started with only 2-3 gallons of water when they first hatched and no filter. After a couple of weeks they got the sponge filter. After about a month they had probably 5 gallons. I also added the Whisper 20 filter packed FULL of floss to keep the flow down. Now they are a little over 3 months old. They have a full tank, 10 gallons, the sponge and the whisper 20.(the whisper now only has floss over the intake slits...they like to swim through the down flow...also, I believe gradually adding current helps build physical strength).

I siphon poo with a length of airline tubing, then use a clear jar/jug to remove larger quantities of water during changes.

I started out feeding hard boiled egg yolk mixed into a paste...(use caution, the uneaten yolk can quickly and easily spoil tank water). After about a week or so, I finally found a packet of first bites. I alternated between first bites and baby brine shrimp that I hatched. I also fed them some super mashed up peas. Now they eat peas (small chunks), lightly crumbled flakes/pellets and LOVE freeze dried bloodworms. High protein early on. I feed them once sometimes twice a day, 6-7 days a week.

Here's what they look like now!....so golden...I wish they stayed this color.

My babies parents are your standard orange comets. I can't wait to see what yours look like as they get older...so keep us updated!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Those are so beautiful at that age. They almost look gilded. Wow. Thanks for sharing the pics and all the info. I can't wait until my baby fish get that big.

In the last couple of days, I found 5 used tanks for sale on Craigslist between 20 and 35 gallons in size. I sent each of them cash offers at $2 per gallon. So far, it looks like I'm getting 2 of them. It's a start at least to get some intermediate goldfish grow-out tanks going. I definitely don't want any of these to end up in fish store feeder tanks and it's going to take a long time to find new homes for them all.

"I siphon poo with a length of airline tubing, then use a clear jar/jug to remove larger quantities of water during changes."

I really suck at siphoning <-- no pun intended there, I just really do. I never get it started very well and when I finally do, I end up killing off the flow. I'd be lost without my pythons.

My big goldies are all such babies. You can see them here mooching up leftover fry food from under the breeder net. The new stuff either floats or is suspended in the water inside the net, so I don't mind. Besides, they're most just getting rid of the old food that sunk and would go bad. Helps me keep the breeder net clean from spoiled food at the bottom, at least. They're still such big babies... lmao!

clean up net 1.jpg clean up net 2.jpg

esparonisproud

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
thnks alot well i havnt got pics ryt now cuz theres too much reflection from the sun but the male is a calico and the female is a white and orange fancy single tailed goldie also in their i hav a pond comet and another single tailed fancy both males so fingers crossed!!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Some people have good luck taking pictures of their tank at night when the room is dark. Turn on the tank light and try it without a flash on the camera. (I've tried that with my cell phone camera, but they just came out grainy.)

Your fish must be very beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store