greech's Simple 40 Breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Trust me, that's nothing when it comes to SW. I've seen protein skimmers that cost 3x's that alone!
... o dear ...

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Most of my equipment was bought over time as well so that helped with the budget. I also bought everything new so I probably could have saved some $ if I had hit up craig's list. I am always a little worried about what I am getting and what has happened in the tank in those situations though. If I ever get a larger tank, I will probably go that route.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
lol my tank cost about wow i dont even know now upwards of 2500 and im 19!? jeese what am i doing with my life i have to pay for college! hahaha its so worth it though every single penny! that looks great though man! liking the setup and it looks clean!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I still cant belive how much they cost. Any estimates on a 30 gal tank the is being converted into saltwater. Not the fish they have a new tank.

New fish,live rock, equipment...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I still cant belive how much they cost. Any estimates on a 30 gal tank the is being converted into saltwater. Not the fish they have a new tank.

New fish,live rock, equipment...
That depends on so much. greech put together a spectacular tank without the premium price and is further proof that the high price doesn't always equal success. I spent about the same amount of money on my protein skimmer as he did on the entire setup. Estimates can range from about $500-$1000 on average for that kind of setup. Your may cost more or less depending on many factors, including where you buy equipment and whether or not it is used, etc.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Greech, just pro. You clearly have a good eye + a talent for the craft. That birdsnest is incredible.

Fishfriend, I'm planning on a 36 gallon FW to SW conversion and I've tenatatively budgeted around $2-3K. I'm not much of a DIY'er and I like to invest in quality equipment upfront. After that expenditure, my tank still won't look as good as greech's (which costs a lot less). There's much to said for the "craft" and skill needed to make these tanks really exceptional.

Last edited:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Thanks for the compliments guys! It has been a lot of fun so far even though I have had my moments of frustration :).

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
That depends on so much. greech put together a spectacular tank without the premium price and is further proof that the high price doesn't always equal success. I spent about the same amount of money on my protein skimmer as he did on the entire setup. Estimates can range from about $500-$1000 on average for that kind of setup. Your may cost more or less depending on many factors, including where you buy equipment and whether or not it is used, etc.
Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store