green gnats in my aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
I saw these same little buggers in a 10gal a friend of mine gave up on. He tried everything to keep fish alive in it and I don't think he knew about the cycle etc. Anyway, when he asked if I wanted it and I said sure, I'd take another tank I went over to break it down for him. There were hundreds of these little larve, not to mention the gnats, slightly bigger than a fruit fly and lime green. I never did find out what they were. I checked the tetra whisper filter he had on the back and the cartridge was absolutely crawling. Also the gravel was full of em once I got the water drained. Your problem may not be confined to the filter I'm afraid. Hope someone can chime in with a species or soultion. My solution was to let the tank sit outside till the water dried up, dispose of the gravel and filter cartridge and bleach the heck out of everything else. Keep in mind this was a full on infestation in a 10 gal. I can't imagine the potential for a larger tank.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Just did a W/C and looked a little closer and I can see them!(the larvae) I also watched what I vacuumed up and saw thousands. ??? :jaw-dropping:

TookayS2K

AC Members
Oct 17, 2009
I saw these same little buggers in a 10gal a friend of mine gave up on. He tried everything to keep fish alive in it and I don't think he knew about the cycle etc. Anyway, when he asked if I wanted it and I said sure, I'd take another tank I went over to break it down for him. There were hundreds of these little larve, not to mention the gnats, slightly bigger than a fruit fly and lime green. I never did find out what they were. I checked the tetra whisper filter he had on the back and the cartridge was absolutely crawling. Also the gravel was full of em once I got the water drained. Your problem may not be confined to the filter I'm afraid. Hope someone can chime in with a species or soultion. My solution was to let the tank sit outside till the water dried up, dispose of the gravel and filter cartridge and bleach the heck out of everything else. Keep in mind this was a full on infestation in a 10 gal. I can't imagine the potential for a larger tank.
This is horrible news! This makes me not even want to open up my filter. It sounds disgusting. I would try to start over but this isn't an option. I'm using sand plus I don't have a extra tank for my aro. He's about 10" now. And it's winter here in Ohio so I'm SOL!

Just did a W/C and looked a little closer and I can see them!(the larvae) I also watched what I vacuumed up and saw thousands. ??? :jaw-dropping:
:yuck: Sorry to hear you ahve the same problem as me. It's so gross. I'm just glad my aro doesn't seem it mind them. But we need a solution quick. It's a never ending cycle of scooping out these gnats.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
This is horrible news! This makes me not even want to open up my filter. It sounds disgusting. I would try to start over but this isn't an option. I'm using sand plus I don't have a extra tank for my aro. He's about 10" now. And it's winter here in Ohio so I'm SOL!

:yuck: Sorry to hear you ahve the same problem as me. It's so gross. I'm just glad my aro doesn't seem it mind them. But we need a solution quick. It's a never ending cycle of scooping out these gnats.
Ya IDK what to do. They don't bother my Oscar either. I've been doing extra W/C's and gravel vacs to see if I can get rid of them,but they are not gone yet!!

TookayS2K

AC Members
Oct 17, 2009
Please let me know if you do find a solution. I'll be sure to do the same.

On a side note. How do you guys clean your filters? You guys say I can't replace the filter with my new one so whats the difference between cleaning it?

On the magnum 350 manual it says you need to take the sleeve out, replace or wash. Then take the micron filter and soak it 1/3 bleach and water over night.

TookayS2K

AC Members
Oct 17, 2009
No definitely not glass worms. When the larvae is young they look like tiny air bubbles. The gnats are lime green in color and float on top of the water. I'll try to take pics but they are just too small.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I'm gonna try aquarium salt and see what that does. I will add it over the next few days when I do my WC's. :idea:

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
i've never seen the larvae, but i have these gnats too in my 6g. i only have about 20 or so, and when i open the hood they come out at me and its really frustrating. they mostly stay on the filter pad more than the water surface, maybe they eat grunge/plant stuff?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store