green gnats in my aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TookayS2K

AC Members
Oct 17, 2009
I've tried aquarium salt.. For me, I saw no changes. I figured if theres enough salt to kill the larvae, it would be killing my arowana as well. :)

As for them eating plants... I have none. all I have is sand in my tank.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I have green gnat like things that we call spring wigs or spring tails. Mine stay at the surface of the water though and I don't actually see them swimming in the water though.
If that's what they are then they are harmless and you can control them by cleaning up the hood every day.

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
I have green gnat like things that we call spring wigs or spring tails. Mine stay at the surface of the water though and I don't actually see them swimming in the water though.
If that's what they are then they are harmless and you can control them by cleaning up the hood every day.
that might be it, mine dont swim, and they SPRING right at me when i open the hood,

TookayS2K

AC Members
Oct 17, 2009
I may have just found a solution. Guppies!

I bought two dozen guppies to see if they'll take care of the worms... and they do. They tear them up. The only problem is that they don't last very long because of my arowana.. :)

I also bought a dozen ghost shrimp as well.. but I'm not sure if they're doing anything. hopefully just cleaning out the sand..

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I may have just found a solution. Guppies!

I bought two dozen guppies to see if they'll take care of the worms... and they do. They tear them up. The only problem is that they don't last very long because of my arowana.. :)

I also bought a dozen ghost shrimp as well.. but I'm not sure if they're doing anything. hopefully just cleaning out the sand..
LOL ya I dont think they would last with my Oscar either. Maybe thats why none of the other tanks in the house have them,because they have small fish that eat them.

TookayS2K

AC Members
Oct 17, 2009
LOL ya I dont think they would last with my Oscar either. Maybe thats why none of the other tanks in the house have them,because they have small fish that eat them.

:werd:lol.. well I'm just going to keep adding guppies and doing water changes for a few more weeks to see if anything changes.

I had 24 guppies and I'm down to 10... that's in 3 hours. haha

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I doubled up on my W/C's for the last couple weeks and I think I kicked my green gnat problem. I saw less and less untill today none!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store