green gnats in my aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ggoldielocks

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2014
I also have green gnats in my 60 gallon freshwater tank. The larva first starts out looking like a small brown tread that is attached itself to power head uv green machine, rocks, plants, etc. Then I noticed some small white thread like worms that are in the water wiggling. That is probably the next part of their life cycle before turning into a gnat. The Pest control man said they came in on my live aquarium plants. I have been scooping them out for 6 weeks, and it has not helped. I put Cooper Safe in the tank on Jan 2 and continued to scoop them out. Still is there any end to this? I followed the instructions on the Cooper Safe and called the manufacturer for any further info I could get. I have called every pet shop around that deals with fish, and no help has been given. My 20 gallon fish tank does not have the problem and I have been keeping the basement door closed. They are trying to get into my 20 gallon tank, but I have been bleaching the filter pads and rinsing and letting them dry. I have had fish tanks for years with never this problem. Can anyone shed some light on this and help me out?

Last edited:

ggoldielocks

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2014
green gnats in fresh water tank

Big Mike what are W/C's ? I have Cichlids in my 60 galloon tank that is being invaded by green gnats. The fish don't seem to notice the gnats floating on top of their tank. I need to get ride of these pests asap. What did you do to get rid of them. ggoldielocks

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you've resurrected an older thread.. but WC is water changes which for most of us = changing as much as 50% or more weekly.. do gravel vac to remove detritus in the substrate you'll suck up many of the worms the rest will starve since you've removed their food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store