Green Spotted Puffer Fish in Trouble Need HELP!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pufferowner

AC Members
Sep 5, 2016
Ok I have one pufferfish that is now suddenly refusing to eat. This is not the first time I have kept puffers, and they die under mysterious circumstances. It is kept in a 25 gallon brackish tank about 1.012 salinity. There are also 2 little mono sebaes with it. My Ph is about 7.6, the temperature is 80 F, there is no ammonia or nitrites. I change the water by 50% weekly as many websites have said. I feed the puffer bloodworms, plankton, brine shrimp and snails so his teeth don't over grow. His tank has a lot of hiding places. Right now he spends his time swimming up and down the side of the tank. is there anything big I'm missing. He's about 2 inches and his name is Razzle Dazzle. Btw he has absolutely no grey belly so that's a good sign. What is wrong with it?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
How long have you had it? Puffers are known to have parasites, so that may be it. Does it have, or had good feces?

Pufferowner

AC Members
Sep 5, 2016
I had it for about 1 1/2 months. It had good poop before, nothing strange. But 3 days ago it just refused to eat anything. It's all skinny now

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Praziquantel is a good antiparasite med, it is broad enough that it gets most things. I unfortunately do not know if it is safe for puffers. But I believe I was only told that catfish can be sensitive to it.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sorry for the lose..... :(

PufferCorps

AC Members
Jul 21, 2016
hayward
www.pufferfishrescue.org
Real Name
peggy thomas
Camera Used
LG cell
So sorry for your loss!
Just in case you get another its a good idea to treat for parasites as regular routine maintenance. I dont like to take chances with adoptions, so the shelter is on a rotation of prazipro, metro, or general cure every 6 to 8 weeks. Although a solitary Puff probably isnt going to get the kind of possible exposure to reinfection as 53 do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store