Green spotted Puffer Stressed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
That's what the hydrometer is for. It measured th specific gravity of the water sfter you add salt. Measure the water now, & bring up the salinity .002 points every weekly water change. I just add the salt into the filter stream. Eventually you'll be adding cups at a time, not tbsps.

Trouty

AC Members
Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Thanks! I think it worked. I bought a small box of Instant ocean, mixed in some water and salt and increased the salinity to 1.002. He's 10X better than before! I'll continue to gradually increase in the next few weeks. So 1.01 is ideal, correct?

Trouty

AC Members
Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
ok... it's been about an hour and he changed right back to his stressed levels... Any ideas? He ate fine last week. He used to be the first one to eat. Now he's disinterested in eating although he looks full... I don't know if he's been picking up off the bottom... Sigh

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Puffers are wild-caught fish & a lot of them come in with internal parasites. I treat all my questionable puffers with Discomed, by Aquatronics. If you can't find it at your lfs, you can order it (& lots of other goodies) at www.bigalsonline.com. You will need to soak his food in it & feed 2x/day for a week.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Some puffers puff for the heck of it. Folks say they are excercizing their "puffing" tecniques. I've never seen mine puff. Just to be safe, turn the lights off for the night.

Trouty

AC Members
Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Hey PufferPunk. That's for the support. I think I know what the problem is. I see little red string things hanging out from the gills and his fin adjecent to the gills. What type of parasite is this? I've never seen this before? What meds do I use? He doesn't want to eat... THanks for all your help. I think we narrowed it down finally.

Trouty

AC Members
Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Ok I took tweezers and we pulled out what was hanging from his gills. Didn't seem to be alive or anything. Looked like stringy grayish brown gunk. I'm going to take a look under a microscope.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
puffer fish don't have gill covers, this could just be some sort of infection he got from nitrate poisoning or something (two plecos and a GSP in a 35 gal. is going to create ALOT of waste even too much for that tank). My GSP creates almost too much waste for himself and he's in a 50 gallon all by himself right now.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Could be gill flukes. Like I said, wild-caught fish come with all sorts of parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store