Guess what I got for Christmas? (not good)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
First, I am so sorry for all your fish losses!

I find it odd that you have a NitrAte reading of 0, is that normal for you? Have you tried testing your tap water to see if that might be the problem?

Also, what is your pH, both aquarium and from the tap?
We are at about 7.1 or 7.2 on tap, aquariums read the same. My cichlids have always done well with this ph, even though they require a little higher. Nitrate reading of the aquariums read between 5 and 10 ppm right now. Sorry. I have been cleaning out the dead fish all day and changing the water. We have done 2 50% changes on the 55 because all the fish are out of that tank and in my 2 10 gall hospital tanks. The 100 gall has had 1 50% wc, but I have no hospital tank big enough for my tinfoil barbs. So they have stayed in there. They are doing good, no signs of illness, and they are eating like champs. Thanks for the reply.

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
Sorry for the losses. Do you use a Python? I think I killed a tank a few months ago from not running clean water through the hose before I stuck it in the tank and turned it on (I was blowing off the leaves before vac'ing out) because, like you, nothing else was a bit different.

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Im so sorry, I would say emergency water changes.
I agree, we have done several already but I'm not stopping until my water params get under control. I am still fishing out dead fish in the 55, and 2 more cichlids have passed since this morning. I am just not sure what could have happened. I must have done something but I cannot think what. Thanks for the advice.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
All I can say is I am just SO sorry :( I imagine you are devastated, I sure would be! I don't think you did anything wrong, it probably IS the water...good luck getting anyone to give you any info or help you out on that front, I doubt very much any one will own to up it. Testing the water at a private lab facility sounds like the only thing you can do at this point.

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
That stinks on a stick! Are you sure your prime bottle was actually filled with prime? Could it have been mixed up? Old?

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I agree with FireDancer7905 and kiddevo. could be the prime or didnt you say you got a new python for christmas as well? That could possibly be it. I have never done anything with my gravel vacs to clean them before use, but mine only ever remove dirty stuff and never put in clean stuff. That does bring me to an interesting point. To people that use pythons and similar devices, do you run water through them before adding water to the tank but after sucking out the dirty stuff? I would want to do a quick rinse out in between cleaning and filling just to make sure that there is nothing left in the hose somewhere.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I never flush the python before a refill...straight from drain to refill. I think I would disinfect all my tank cleaning equipment before using ony of it again, just to remove that as a possibility in the future. Did you have any company over that day that might have done something you are unaware of..like some kids...?

TommyR

Add water, makes it's own sauce!
Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Very sorry to here that. Hopefully you pin point what went wrong. Let it be a learning experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store