hatching eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
i helped along a clutch of my golden apples, as its been nearly 3 weeks now. i opened the whitish ones to find baby snails.........but some floated some sank, and there has been no movement. do you think they have dried out in the clutch?

will the rest hatch???

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
hey hey i have to baby golden apples, hope more hatch soon..am i taliking to my self ha-ha-ha

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
woohoo! congrats! how tiny are they? I am considering trying to hatch a clutch. Did you move them out of the main tank into a grow out tank?

Mar 9, 2007
Yes, most of your clutch probably dried out-otherwise it would be swarming with baby snails. The snails that were in the center of the clutch probably survived because they were the moist ones. You want to keep the clutch DRY but in humid conditions.
This is what I did:
After 24 hours (to allow the clutch to harden and not smoosh when you remove it), remove the clutch from wherever it was laid in the tank. I set mine on a piece of filter media. Whatever you set it on should be porous to allow air flow under the clutch, and you also don't want something solid that will allow moisture to collect under the clutch, because that will drown all of the bottom eggs. Set your clutch on say a piece of filter material.
Then set that upon a damp, but not soaking wet paper towel. Place the towel, then the filter media, and then the clutch ontop of the filter media inside a ziploc bag. Place the ziplock bag on top of a heating pad on the lowest setting. You want the bag inside to remain very humid, but you dont want to directly make your clutch wet. Make sure to have the ziploc bag full of air as to allow circulation. Open the bag everyday and put new air in.
When you get a few days before the snails are due to hatch, transfer the clutch and float it on something above where you plan on raising the baby snails. For me, I floated my clutches above a breeder net in my full size tank.
Here's a photo of mine floating:

That way I was sure that they hatched into the proper environment with plenty of food, and I was sure that they would not be vaccumed up during my weekly cleanings. Just remember baby snails require pristine water conditions, and a good supply of food, and reccommended calcium supplements which will make them grow up fast and strong.
I never had a clutch that didn't hatch. Before you know it, you will be crawling with baby snails.

Viola!
Baby snails.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
I usually put them in a tank with a light and mist with water, in time the tank will create its own humidity.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
they are very tiny like 1-2mm.
i have removed them from the main tank put in a polly cup with lid suspended with cocktail sticks just above the water line and placed on top of the tank lid were it gets warm to keep the humidity up. all is good now.

thanks for more info in this prossess

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
any snails yet?

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
hey i ended up with only three babies which are doing great about 2 months old now, but my purple has been mating with my other females like no ones bbizzness, so am waiting on more.........fingers crossed and now i have more detailed info on how to hatch them thanks to this being stickied

IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1302.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store