Have you used sculpey or another pvc clay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Dude, you're friggin awesome. Already so cool. Is the back compartment completely sealed off from the front?

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
the back compartment is not fully sealed. there is a small piece of board behind the center of the eggcrate wall, so that water is directed mostly in from the left and right side. A small tom filter will sit in the hole, with a foam block on the left and right, that can be pulled out through the middle hole if needed. I'll probably cap the filer area with a piece of stone, and then build up mosses around it.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
oh, I think maybe I misread yoru comment. There are deliberate holes through the sculpey parts as well, to allow water to pull in. So, the filter will be mostly pulling water from under the planted areas, which will be filled with gravel, causing this to be a little bit of an undergravel filter as well.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Awesome job! I'm not nearly as artistic, but enjoy being able to custom make whatever I want without adding a lot of weight.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Beautiful work mellowvision.
I'm wondering if pressing a porous "real" rock into the clay would leave it looking more like rock? For instance the texture of split shale or slate. Or cracked agate.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I'm sure it would, but the trick is leaving an impression and being able to remove it without deforming whatever you're making. I used a lava rock to press in some details here and there on the main edge, but couldn't press hard enough to leave big texture, without clay sticking to lava rock and vice versa.

so I guess one way to do it, would be to press the sides of an object before making any required indentations or holes, and try to use flat surfaces to support the outside surfaces when pressing against them.

Or, you could use much larger blocks and strictly cut away, but it would require a lot more clay to start with. it's really hard to add clay to something , and get a good even blend, once it's soft. so you'd be restricted to what you could remove or blend.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I kinda sorta copied your idea lol. Waiting for sillicone to dry, and then I'll show you mine attached. I'm using fimo instead, wasn't paying attention and bought the wrong one. Do you think fimo would work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store