Have you used sculpey or another pvc clay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
So the silicone has sat for 48 hours, and I've thoroughly rinsed everything and got the foam installed and pump in place. It runs a little faster than I'd prefer, but I know the additional gravel will slow down water flow, and so will the mosses I plant to drape in the area. Can't wait to plant.

IMG_0560.JPGIMG_0559.JPGIMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
Looking good! I'm wondering if You could put something thin like plastic wrap or cloth between the clay & rock or whatever you are using to make an impression? That way it would take the shape & still release, and you could just peel the plastic/cloth off. Fabric could give extra texture as well.
I have been wondering about this for a while so it's great to have you work out the bugs for me. Thanks for sharing!
Can't wait to see it all together.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
How have I not seen this thread before?!?! It looks great! Keep us posted, I can't wait to see it with plants!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
steffish: I think you could use plastic wrap or cloth as a mold release, but you'd end up more with that as a texture than anything you press into it. The stuff gets really soft as you work it more and more, so I'm not so sure that pressing would be easy unless you are making flat slabs.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Today, I couldn't wait any longer, anxious to plant I got to work. The trees I've been planning on using have been growing with their roots in water, in various planters, including the hanging island from my old 15g paludarium. Removing the trees from their planters was the first step, and required some careful handling. The largest tree had been growing in it's planter, through a piece of window screen, for close to 4 years. The smaller trees are cuttings from the main tree, and have been growing for at least a year.

here's the large tree in the old island.
IMG_0570.JPG

and the island once I cut out the window screen the tree had grown through.
IMG_0575.JPG

The root ball freed from the island.
IMG_0573.JPG

I deliberately put a shoulder on the false bottom to support the root here, since it's a heavy tree that I don't want falling over. The root ball is well supported on the back and inside, and I'll pack eco complete below.
IMG_0579.JPG

The second tree has been growing in a PVC T fitting for the last year. I wanted something to keep the root ball tight, while providing a bit of flow when I waterchanged. Worked pretty well.
IMG_0581.JPG

I used a pot scrubber as substrate for this one, and it seemed to love it.
IMG_0583.JPG

So once the trees were removed from their planters, I set them in place with the trunks just above the waterline, and packed in the rest of the planters with some eco complete.
IMG_0585.JPG

On top of the eco complete, I sprinkled some horticultural charcoal and a few small handfuls of ABG mix. I had a few bits of different mosses around the house in jars and terrariums, and some HC growing in the paludarium, so I decided to cap the planters with what I had, and added a few stones to slow the waterflow until the java moss starts to hold on.
IMG_0590.JPG

I still haven't added sand to the pond, but am pretty satisfied with this step, I think in the long run, I bet the HC will dominate most of the front edge where there is more light, and in the back the mosses will swell up and form a more hilly shape to the corners.
IMG_0592.JPG

That's all the pics for now. Full tree shots coming once things have settled in and I have a chance to sit it on a back drop. I'd like to let it run for a week before adding the sand, so stay tuned!

IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0592.JPG

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Dude! We absolutely need to see the whole thing in perspective!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store