Hello. New to FW aquaria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
So the stocking would look like this.

6 blackskirts
3 corys
3 poka-dot loaches
1 (undecided centerpiece)
2 (maybe bristlenose plecs)
1-2 Shrimp..
I honestly think you may need more Corys.
People tend to say 6+, if you can, I'd bump it up to 6, and take away some other fish... at least bump it up to 4.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Definately 6! I have 13 and they are great and entertaining.

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
u need as many cories as possible! they are clowns when there happy! if ur doing shrimp u wont see much of 1-2 shrimp there waaaaay smaller in FW then SW. if u want to see shrimp ur going to need 40+ in a tank that size!if i were u id do in that tank:

12 black skirt tetras
15 cories
1 dwarf or pearl gouramie
1 bn pleco

alfbennett

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Washington
u need as many cories as possible! they are clowns when there happy! if ur doing shrimp u wont see much of 1-2 shrimp there waaaaay smaller in FW then SW. if u want to see shrimp ur going to need 40+ in a tank that size!if i were u id do in that tank:

12 black skirt tetras
15 cories
1 dwarf or pearl gouramie
1 bn pleco
Either everyone has gone crazy or a FW biotope can handle a larger load than I think.

Thats a lot of fish!:eek3:

JennLy

AC Members
Mar 1, 2009
Antelope Valley CA
I am certainly no expert but I will say I love malaysian trumpet snails. I am setting up my first tank, I started with plants, and then snails, and then six platies. One of the platies was sick when I got it and the medicine I bought killed most of the plants. The only upside to that was seeing where the MTS would come up through the substrate and eat the dead leafs off the plants. If you want a planted tank I would recommend these guys.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
So the stocking would look like this.

6 blackskirts
3 corys
3 poka-dot loaches
1 (undecided centerpiece)
2 (maybe bristlenose plecs)
1-2 Shrimp.

That would bring it up to 13 - 15 fish. Seems like to much for a 40-50 gallon tank...
I'll have to think this through a little more.
Either everyone has gone crazy or a FW biotope can handle a larger load than I think.

Thats a lot of fish!:eek3:
LOL

...Stick with 6 and 6... blackskirts can get pretty big.

I agree. Keep your stocking at 3-4 Cories & Kuhlis and 6 blackskirts. I think you'll be fine there and will probably have plenty of room to add a centerpiece.

alfbennett

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Washington
Ok,
Tanking all things into consideration, here is my stocking plan.

4 blackskirts,
2 Polka-dot loaches
4 Corys (my single cory is almost like having a washed out Goby but with whiskers)
1 kribensis

The only variable is that I have not decided to plant the tank or not, so the loaches may be replaced in the plan when I make my final decission on that subject.

Does anyone see any incompatiblities in this plan. I think with the given information that the tank should be able to sustain these guys with 20% waterchanges when the tank is finally established.

alfbennett

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Washington
I should mention. One of the common plecos (the smaller one) is ded-dead after getting his butt kicked by the larger clown loach (who is now mining the gravel for some reason. just keeps moving rocks.)

The new home for the fish leaving my tank is somewhere arround 70 gallons, and is cycling at my brother's now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store