Help - Am I overgrown with algae or worse?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Name the plants that you have. You mentioned that you use tab fertilizers. These are good for plants that are root heavy in terms of gaining it's resources. Maybe some of your plants prefer liquid ferts.

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
Is that a reverse flow undergravel filter I see? If so, that's your problem. Plants have a heck of a time getting established when their roots are being flooded with rushing water 24/7. With plants sitting there decaying like that you can't help but have algae problems.

Southwestern

AC Members
Jul 23, 2010
Southwestern USA
Name the plants that you have. You mentioned that you use tab fertilizers. These are good for plants that are root heavy in terms of gaining it's resources. Maybe some of your plants prefer liquid ferts.
I can't name them. :( Just the river grass. I think I should introduce liquid fertilizer so I am covering both bases. I need to replace the plants though and start over.

Southwestern

AC Members
Jul 23, 2010
Southwestern USA
Is that a reverse flow undergravel filter I see? If so, that's your problem. Plants have a heck of a time getting established when their roots are being flooded with rushing water 24/7. With plants sitting there decaying like that you can't help but have algae problems.
Nope. I don't have an undergravel filter. Those outlets coming up from the base of the tank are the outlets from the canister filters underneath the tank.

I am getting the impression I should just pull all the plants. They are in bad shape.

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
Nope. I don't have an undergravel filter. Those outlets coming up from the base of the tank are the outlets from the canister filters underneath the tank.

I am getting the impression I should just pull all the plants. They are in bad shape.
Oh darn, I was hoping for an easy fix. Yeah, you should pull out the bad looking plants but I think you could save that sword. It doesn't look too bad yet.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
How deep is the substrate, and being of a special variety it looks to be too much, the light you have needs some attention, things you need to know is what temp the light is 6700k is a good calvin temp, if its a cool white or warm white it is about 3000k(not good on its own) IMO your light and unbalanced ferts are causing the algae.

Southwestern

AC Members
Jul 23, 2010
Southwestern USA
I should have asked earlier.... Which one is the sword?

The substrate is 2"-3" except where the parrot dug it down to 0". :) Is that a problem too?

I appreciate all this advice.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
the depth is not a problem - i would however take some out to help the cleaning process, i woukld also take the rocks out and scrub them down - i would leave the plants in and in actual fact get more to compete against the algae - i would look into the lighting - poor lighting and excess ferts imo is the cause - 80% water change is excessive - stick to 30/40% using a gravel vac only, dont just drain.

Southwestern

AC Members
Jul 23, 2010
Southwestern USA
Sword.... Got it. I have two of those actually. They are the only ones that seem to have held down roots.

Somewhere in here was a good suggestion about doing the gravel vac so I can use that method to do a much less severe water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store