Help! Emergency tank upgrade

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Personally, if you are a fan of Hang On Back filters, I'd look at the Aquaclear series from Fluval,

If it were me, I prefer Canisters and have the space under the tank for them, I'd look at a smaller Eheim or an Oase

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Ohhh that's a horrible thing to happen. But you did all the right things and your params look good. I would keep monitoring and do WCs as needed like you say. You could pick up TSS as insurance, but i'm hoping it will keep the cycle. If you see any issues tomorrow, I would borrow a bit more filter media from the established 10g. It doesn't take much most of the time.

• Love
Reactions: Kimunaffected

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Kids and flying phones. I'd fly that sucker right in the trash! LOL. I just got done repairing a torso sized hole in wall due to my wonderful teenage boys messing around. Supposedly a book hit it. Darling bride described it as a "little crack in the wall" as I was heading home from work.

Anyway.. you did good with a 20gal long. It's a great footprint for a tiny tank. You did GREAT salvaging the media and substrate.

Keep in mind for the future. No need to rush right into another tank. You can setup a temporary tank from a plastic storage tote until you figure out what you want. Fish don't care one bit.

Kimunaffected

AC Members
Apr 8, 2020
Real Name
Kim
Kids and flying phones. I'd fly that sucker right in the trash! LOL. I just got done repairing a torso sized hole in wall due to my wonderful teenage boys messing around. Supposedly a book hit it. Darling bride described it as a "little crack in the wall" as I was heading home from work.

Anyway.. you did good with a 20gal long. It's a great footprint for a tiny tank. You did GREAT salvaging the media and substrate.

Keep in mind for the future. No need to rush right into another tank. You can setup a temporary tank from a plastic storage tote until you figure out what you want. Fish don't care one bit.
You better believe it took some serious restraint ( and multiple versions were heard so it took some divide and conquer to get through it. The teenager suddenly became the most helpful I seen her in awhile though ( She knows how I am about my tanks haha ). This 20 gallon was actually in the backyard because the other half didn’t want one this big so I was suppose to give it away. ( he also now wants be to shop around for something else but I am not going for it , Mainly because I want to be done cycling ?) I think he suspects a conspiracy... lol

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would have liked to see the kid's faces and reaction when this happened.

Tank leaks or blowouts are the worst. Been through a few!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store