Help! Emergency tank upgrade

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
next step bigger, and more!

if you're close to NE PA, or NW NJ I could hook you up.

• Love
Reactions: Kimunaffected

Kimunaffected

AC Members
Apr 8, 2020
Real Name
Kim
next step bigger, and more!

if you're close to NE PA, or NW NJ I could hook you up.
thank you!
Your so kind! I wish I were close enough to take you up on that. Unfortunately within the states I couldn’t be further away :( Washington state here

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
We were in Seattle and Spokane last year. :)

Some good folks out there.

Only brought back rocks and CO2 equipment, maybe plants.. no tanks.

• Love

Kimunaffected

AC Members
Apr 8, 2020
Real Name
Kim
We live across the water from Seattle but I am from Spokane originally :) it’s gorgeous out here it really is. While I am posting again.
what are your guy’s opinions on using prime as a water conditioner? I am seeing mixed opinions on using it as a conditioner at WC in established tanks verses when your trying to control an emergency with prime. I mainly ask because I ordered mine over month ago online to have just in my“toolkit” and the bottle is ginormous ?
Here is the tank today ( a friend brought me a new sponge filter and some plants from her qt tank. I don’t exactly know what I have yet. I suspect pennywort.

CBDA9F7A-2982-4F30-A9ED-D2BA55BE2EBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: the loach

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
We use it as a general day to day water conditioner. with every water change, don't use anything else (May consider using Safe or Ultimate in the future, but haven't yet and haven;'t needed to)

you can use it generally, can use it for emergencies, it just stinks.

I think when we last ordered it, we got either a gallon or two. and we really do not have that sort of water volume in the house (or do that many water changes) so it lasts forever.

I'm really not much of a fan of adding chemicals to an aquarium if I can help it. prime and liquid fertilizer for the plants is really the extent. Or salt for a marine aquarium

Kimunaffected

AC Members
Apr 8, 2020
Real Name
Kim
Agreed, I wasn’t quite ready to take on liquid fertilizer yet. I am starting with tabs. I have stress coat Conditioner from api now. But I am happy to here I can use the prime outside of an emergency. I would hate to need this much if it were only for emergency.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I know folks at API, and don't use stresscoat.

Using root tabs vs liquid fertilizer will depend on a couple of things.. what plants you have, and which liquid or tab you have.

Some plants take nutrition from the water,
Some through their roots. Then it's going to be a question of what nutrients you are going to add. The tabs from Seachem and API are lacking in macro nutrients but contain a lot of micros (can read the label) and depending on what is in your aquarium this might not be enough.. the same for liquid ferts, similar from API or Seachem. Something from Thrive (made by an ex AC member) or Tropica are more inclusive and will likely do better overall.

The sword will always love a root tab or two. Otherwise you are likely fine without... At least for now.

Kimunaffected

AC Members
Apr 8, 2020
Real Name
Kim
I do need to dig into the specifics of all the plants I have and the list I have of suggested starter plants I want to buy & do some more reading. I went with the seachem flourish tabs for now. I will send the stress coat to the back of the line and use prime moving forward.

I am hoping for easy sailing this week while I watch the water parameters. ??????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store