help stocking my 10gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I plan on having neons and a small centterpiece fish so i dont think they can eat a shrimp

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Nano fish usually don't eat shrimp. Yellow shrimp are neos and do interbreed with red, orange and blue neos, which will revert back to wild color, which is brownish. Yellows have been known to be less hardy than the other colors. Sakuras are red cherries that have been selectively bred to get the bold red color. Ghosts and amanos are good to have, and hardy, but you will not be able to breed.

It all depends on what you are looking for, really. I'd say red cherries are the easiest to keep, and be will breed without any special attention. The good thing about this, besides the exciting fact of population growth, is that you can sell or trade them to help fund the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So heres an update. I went out and got everything i needed for my ten gal at petsmart. Ill see if i can post up the 2 pics i took. The first picture is off the tank itself a few hours after initial setup and the second picture has the 10 and my QT that i set up 6weeks ago. I figured since my QT finished its fishless cycle yesterday that i would get 5 ghost shrimp to liven it up a bit

uploadfromtaptalk1360642202592.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1360642223478.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks great Kyle.

My 10gal is the same Marineland kit as yours. I swear that little penguin bio-wheel filter moves more water than the larger Top Fin HOB that came with my 29gal kit.

Joel

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks. I forgot to boil tue driftwood to get rid of some tannis but i like the look of the brown tint in the water. And this is the first biowheel filter ive owned and i have to say that they are quiet. Luckily i got the tank on sale for $60 :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
.... Luckily i got the tank on sale for $60 :)
Yep, same here. Got it at Petsmart. You can get 10gal tanks for $10 at Petco when they're on sale, but once you add a hood, filter and heater, you're well above $60, and you still have mediocre components.

Joel

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
to the poster above, they 1 dollar per gallon sales are more beneficial when you are buying larger tanks like 40 gallons or more... I got my 40 gallon breeder for 40 dollars instead of 100 plus dollars, I was able to get a lid for 30 dollars, a good light fixture for 30 dollars and a penguin 350 B for about 35 dollars... so I got my Tank, lid, Light, and filter meant for 70 gallon tank for around 135 dollars when usually the tank by itself would cost this much

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I agree with never fade away. I got everything for my 40B for about $200(including stand). Those petco sale are meant to save some money on larger tanks. I couldve saved more but a bought a $60 filter (fluval c4) but the marineland 10gal kit that i bought was a steal and MTS kicked in when i saw it :)

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i got my tank running and cycled( fish in cycle) good parameters. So i went to petco to buy my neons. I asked for 10 neons( first i thogh what a bad choice because the bioload hazard to a newly established tank) but boy i couldnt be any more wrong. So as i said, i asked for 10... Ended up with 13 neons but only paid for 10 :D i figured store bought neons are fragile and my careless act of buying so many at once id probably knew i would lose a few. Wrong again. They all survived and are enjoying their new home. But im gonna wait like 2 weeks so the BB can catch up on the new bioload before i buy my centerpiece. Im kind of iffy on the gourami idea and was thinking maybe a betta. Any other suggestions for a centerpiece?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store