help stocking my 10gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Its a penguin 100. I was iffy at first with this filter but its proved to be quite sufficent so far.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Also i forgot to mention i will be adding java moss and possibly some vals maybe or anubias nana or even both just to make the fish happier and water quality better and of course more esthetically pleasing

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
True i have an aquaclear on my 40B and im very please. I might just buy a aquaclear for my tank and use it instead on the penguin just because im not to fond of the filter catridges. But so far its doing fine and im pleased with it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
True i have an aquaclear on my 40B and im very please. I might just buy a aquaclear for my tank and use it instead on the penguin just because im not to fond of the filter catridges. But so far its doing fine and im pleased with it.
What don't you like about the penguin cartridges? You can get a 6 pack of them mailed to your door for $12 from eBay. Pretty much the same for any HOB.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
well i think the main issue with filter cartridges is that they need replaced and you lose you BB when you do that.... although i dont replace mine unless they are falling apart, not like once a month like the box says

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im just not a fan of the cartidges. And i wont replace it until it absolutely needs replacing. I like the luxury of being able to put any type of media i choose in my filters. I like to use as much bio media as possible. In my aquaclear 70 its loaded with biomax. But so far im pleased with the penguin. Ill see if i can find a way to modify it just a little. Btw were kind of getting off track, so back to my question. Any recommendations/suggestions for a centerpiece? And before anyone says it, yes i know tge tank would be overstocked and i have no problem keeping up with the maintaince.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So bad news. Its 3am and my penguin 100 suddenly just stopped. I had a spare filter where the pump goes into the water so i thought quickly enough and as of right now i have a running filter. Its a mix of the penguin and a marineland xD but tomorrow ill need to go buy another filter(aquaclear) and put the biomax from my 40B in there until i get enough BB in the new filter. Ugh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
well i think the main issue with filter cartridges is that they need replaced and you lose you BB when you do that.... although i dont replace mine unless they are falling apart, not like once a month like the box says
Any HOB that I'm aware of at a minimum has a bio sponge downstream of the filter cartride. That's where your BB are, not so much on the filter media/cartridge. With the penguin bio-wheel models, all your BB are on the bio wheel (downstream of the cartridge). You can swap media all you want and not effect BB.

ktrom, you got your wish Bro. Your Penguin 100 died. That is wierd though. Are you sure it's not just debris stopping up the impeller? I've never heard of one of these going from 100% to dead in one shot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store