Here we go... Gas Prices

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greeneyedlady

Duchess of Comedy
Jul 4, 2002
MD, USA
happychem said:
I kind of agree with you Slip. I think that the truking lobby might oppose it, but I wouldn't mind seeing the price of gas for non-comercial use increase by a dollar or two. Those who really needed to drive would, but you'd think twice about it, research into alternative fuels, be they ethanol or alternative combusants, fuel cells, electric cars, solar power, whatever. I think that there's a great deal of potential in these if the money was put to it. I know for a fact that there are plenty of researchers really keen on alternative energy sources, but they have a heck of a time getting funding.

Do you really think that the oil companies will let that happen, they buy up all the research on alternative fuels and engines bury them and say sorry they don't work :(

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I know, GEL. But if the gas prices were that much higher and there was a real effort put into alternative fuels it would just become too much for the oil companies to keep up with. Every University's chemistry department has at least 2 or 3 professors interested in doing this type of work, whether from the materials side or the chemical, photochemical, or electrochemical side, but most of them can't get adequate funding so these are treated more as pet projects. They work on them as they can, maybe putting one graduate student on it if they get lots of funding that year and the main project moves along better than anticipated. But if they received funding to actually do this research, imagine the potential?!

greeneyedlady

Duchess of Comedy
Jul 4, 2002
MD, USA

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Interesting, except for the cold fusion bit, that doesn't work, at least not yet. There were a couple of scientists back in the 70s that claimed that they'd made cold fusion work in a bucket but it turned out to be bull. They had been working in conjunction with another pair on the topic of cold fusion and were submitting a paper indicating that their findings showed that it was not achievable given the resources available at the time. The other two scooped them though, going to the media instead of the peer reviewed publication.

greeneyedlady

Duchess of Comedy
Jul 4, 2002
MD, USA
I don't know a thing about Pouge slip but I do know about Ogle, I grew up in El Paso, Texas and at the time he tested his engine I had cut all the newspaper articles I still have the originals ;)

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Do you know how much Gas costs in Iraq for the citizens? It's been reported as low as .3 cents in some areas! One old friend of mine who just came back from serving our wonderful country said that they kept the prices at just an amount so that the lights can be kept on and the pumps operable... basically oil is free in portions of the Middle East.

It's typical; we take care of every other country but our own.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Gas is also cheaper in states that have oil and gas development--not by the same ratio, but production is typically lower as well. Why shouldn't it be cheaper?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store