Hi new guy here ...210 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
Hi everyone. Never been on a "fish" forum before haha. The tank is a dual stack overflow system with 2 one inch gravity fed lines to a huge sump tank with 3/4 inch returns and a 2400 gph pump. I have natural fish in my tank from my region of the US. I have had great luck so far. Big tanks are so much more stable than the ones I have had in the past. My only regret is that I have used artificial foliage in the tank but I learned a long time ago that real plants get torn up when big fish like the ones I want chase and eat their lunch. I don't want the bother anymore. Still been some bumps in the road but it is a blast to keep what I catch in there. I had been focussed on smaller fish since originally having a couple larger bass and full grown sunfish. I reverted back to 13 baby sunfish and some "custodial" fish like algae eaters and crayfish. The other day I caught a nice chain pickerel which I couldn't pass up. He is affectionately know as "Otto." I have been able to keep him from eating everything in the tank by keeping him well fed with shiners and the like. He is a menacing dude but fun to watch. I do a lot of scuba diving so I collect all of my own specimens. I am still debating a largemouth bass "friend" for Otto or another chain pickerel. His species is territorial though and another fish will also increase my difficulty in keeping the smaller fish uneaten. I'll have to play it by ear. Just wanted to say hi.

chain pickerel 002 smallest.jpg chain pickerel 003 smallest.jpg chain pickerel 004 smallest.jpg chain pickerel 005 smallest.jpg

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Very nice. Have you checked with your local authorities to ensure what you are doing is legal? Many states have regulations against keeping native gamefish. I have always wanted to have a local biotope tank, but I'd want one that was about 5,000 gallons so I could have a lot of different stuff, and enough of it to observe breeding and feeding. :p

fishman1979

Suffers from MTS
Feb 7, 2006
Aldan, PA
nice looking tank. good work.

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
Gorgeous setup. That pickerel will outgrow the tank sooner or later. What do you do when fish like that that get too big?

I wouldn't worry about keeping live plants, if you are collecting your own stock replenishing them from forays would be easy. The pickerel would certainly enjoy a few lily pads to make it feel homey.

I plan on building a river tank at some point with natives (don't tell the federalis) but I am going to stick with baitfish and crayfish so I don't have to worry about what to do with a 8 lb tankbusting largemouth when it has outgrown the tank.

I've also thought of converting an inground pool to a fish pond with natives (koi are great but I would find a native habitat more interesting). The predation from herons etc. would be minimal because even at the small end the water would be too deep for birds. They could keep what they caught off the steps.

This has made me want to go fishing. I'll see you all later.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Sounds like a plan graph. I got a new ultra light last week. Nothing like catching a 6-8 pound fish on 4 pound test :)

If I had a tank like that, I would be too tempted to sit on the couch and drop a line in the water. Barbless hooks of course.....

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
Our local regulations permit keeping of native fish as long as they
1. Don't exceed the legal single day bag limit number.
2. Are of legal size.

So I guess if I go fishing I can take one less pickerel to eat! Not that I would ever eat one anyway.

As far as fish size goes.....no the chain pickerel is not likely to outgrow my 210 considering he is about 16 inches now and won't be likely to exceed 18 or so. He has ample room in there as it stands. I am considering getting him an aquaintance but these fish are pretty territorial and I don't think he'd get along with anything short of another pickerel his size or a large bass. I'll decide as I go.

As far as the live plant issue goes....collecting is not the problem...I don't want the torn up pieces making a constant mess of the tank. Maybe I'll try a couple at a time. Probably some kind of tough hydrilla.

Grundy

"A Buckeye Behind Enemy Lines"
Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
Beautiful tank!!! Is that in your basement or on the first level? it looks like your fish is enjoying an episode of "My Name is Earl" (in the background). :D

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
Yes it is in my basement. Aside from the laminate floor it sits firmly on the concrete foundation of my house. I'd guess with everything it weighs somewhere in the neighbrohood of 2400 pounds. I'd hate to see that crash through the ceiling haha.

On a side note I knew it was only a short matter of time before someone commented on the TV. I have never watched the show. It just came on while I was screwing with the tank!

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
LMAO! I was going to comment on you're fish's tv choice too. Beautiful tank. I seriously jealous!!! I've got 3 native fishies. Little Red shiners, that act like they are on speed!! lol And one little catfish that hides all the time. My step Dad ONLY has native tanks, and swears by them. When he lived in Pompano Beach he used to scuba dive and collect his own.

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
My step Dad ONLY has native tanks, and swears by them. When he lived in Pompano Beach he used to scuba dive and collect his own.
Tell him I said atta boy!

I actualy considered putting pure strain Muskie in the tank as hatchlings and watching them grow.....now I think the pickerel is plenty big enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store