Hi new guy here ...210 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Right, I did know that it's a big NO..NO...to release "non-native" species....I just never considered that there were possible negatives to releasing wild caught "Native" species..since you'd just be putting them back where you got them from.

But like I said before......learn something new every day... :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the info ! ;)

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
Nice tank, I’m quite jealous!

Out of curiosity, and not to waylay the thread anymore than necessary, I can understand why you wouldn’t release a native species, once having been introduced to non-native species/plants/food/environment, back into the wild. I've heard this before and know it's a huge issue here in Illinois. But, I wonder, would this apply if you caught a native species then preceded to create a set-up using all native items (plants/substrate/foods/ect.. maybe straight from the body of water it was caught in) and then reintroduction to the wild? If the fish had no contact with anything non-native is there still a contamination/illness issue to worry about? Just interested is all.

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
I suppose that would pose the LEAST risk to the environment in which it reenters, however it wouldn't make it any more legal.

Rowangel

Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
Humm....yes that is true. I wish I had the room for a large tank. I would love to do a native tank. But at this point I just don't. I already have 40g Bearded dragon tank, 30g fish tank and 20g giant leopard gecko tank cramed in my bedroom, not to mention the 2 10g and 2.5g tanks in the kitchen, livingroom and dinningroom...roommate won't let me have any more...*pout*

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
Wow it sounds like you need to flood a room in your house and make a land and sea environment for the whole group. Now that would be a pic I want to see!

Rowangel

Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
heh, I would love to do that. I love projects! I tried to set-up a 55g tank in the basement for a painted turtle last year, but it gets well below 60 in the winter (It also floods in the summer), and we couldn't afford to heat a basement we just didn't use a lot. We couldn't get the tank temps above 65, poor little girl had to be adopted-out to a nice family with a huge tank in their living room. I miss her...

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Nice tank!

I keep native fish as well, no pickerel though.

Recently caught a big Nothern hog sucker.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store