Hi new guy here ...210 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
gunther said:
So I guess if I go fishing I can take one less pickerel to eat! Not that I would ever eat one anyway.
Yuck. More bones than a graveyard.

Pickerel get pretty big. I've caught them locally (RI) 26+ inches...

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
There's no worry about what to do with a native fish when it gets too big for your tank......you let it go.... ;)

I think that tank is fantastic Gunther !! A large mouth bass would be a great addition ! I can't possibly see why anyone would have a problem with keeping native fish in a tank, especially when they let you take them home to EAT !

As far as the plants...I have seen plenty of fake plants that are so well done that it's hard to tell they're fake. The cloth ones especially. I would get some more to put around the driftwood from low to about mid range of the tank. That way there would still be plenty of room for those monsters to swim in... :D

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
I actually did add some since the photos. I like a fairly open tank so I don't want to go overboard.

There's no worry about what to do with a native fish when it gets too big for your tank......you let it go....
That is a majorly illegal no-no. I'll give him a nice cushy life.....I just hope he doesn't break the tank glass! Maybe he'll go from beloved pet to wall mounted immortality some day!

Last edited:

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Emg said:
There's no worry about what to do with a native fish when it gets too big for your tank......you let it go.... ;)
EMG!?!?!?!?! I am shocked you would advocate this! Native species that have been kept in aquaria are a vector for disease! Never release any fish you have had in your tank into the wild native or not.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
If you look, he has posted twice already. Graph isnt here to chastise every single fishkeeper here. Just the ones who dont take advice, feel its thier duty to attempt to prove years of science wrong, and purposfully mistreat animals.

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
I only swing through (on average) once a day unless I'm working and bored. The OP was smart enough to know anyways... he caught it first...

I'm also too busy envying the tank. Just curious though, how wide is the footprint of the tank? I'm asking to gauge how a 24" fish would be able to move in it (turn around).

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
Its 24 wide, approx. 27 high, and a full 6 feet long. Quite deep even for a long tall tank. As far as the turning around part........my opinion is that it depends on the species. some fish tend to "cruise" and turn in an arc requiring a little more space. Fish like Otto (chain pickerel) most often "suspend" and if turning, will rotate on their center axis, requiring no more than their length. The actual footprint including the framework itself is obviously a little wider. I'm more worried about broken tank glass than a fish outgrowing it, although I don't think the pickerel would ever be able to do it considering the glass on the 210 is **** thick and he has a relatively soft, elongated snout. He'd bust himself up before he gets through that glass. I doubt the pickerel will exceed 20 inches but I also have caught bigger.

graphicdesign_r..................I needed to a send you a PM and you don't allow them. Can you PM me your email?

By the way, stop having a hiss about the "release" advice. You see that I addressed it immediately, no need to get excited.

Last edited:

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
here are some new pics of Otto out for a stroll this afternoon. He is perking up quite well since his "relocation"!

The last pic is lousy quality but the wuierd effect it gives reminds me of a Jaws film LOL

Otto 001 copy.jpg Otto 002 copy.jpg Otto 003 copy.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store