High ammonia levels in cichlid tank (55g)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
What percent of WC should I do and how often until the ammonia gets under control?
Without knowing what type of water (chemicals in your tap or well?. Just dont have enough info) you use to perform WC, very hard to say but hopefully and safely 20-25% at a time and even twice/day, all depnding on your present levels.

How bad is NH3 (what color on the chart?)/NO2 today @ what pH?

I would not vacuum or disturb filter media at all at this point as such actions MAY disturbed your tank even more to possibly delay reestablishment of much needed BB.

Skip feeding if necessary.

btw, if lfs testing verifies your readings and they offer advice, reason with their advice before applying whatever it may be. Less chemicals, if any recommended, the better in long run.

Last edited:

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Well the LFS confirmed my test results. Was hoping I had a bad kit. I did another 25% wc tonight. I've dropped the feeding down to once a day and skipped feeding them this past sunday.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Did you test your tap water? Maybe the water company just performed a flush of the lines with something weird. You may want to call them and see if they've changed anything recently.

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
I just skimmed through this thread but from what I gather it sounds like the op doesn't regularly vacuum their gravel. Could that be the cause of the ammonia spike?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I just skimmed through this thread but from what I gather it sounds like the op doesn't regularly vacuum their gravel. Could that be the cause of the ammonia spike?
^ Good point.:) Although NO DIRECT relation, at least I know, but Just remembered other possible scenario.

Only other possible scenario I could think of at this time b/n undistubed substrates and ammonia is via denitrification and nitrogen fixation process where N2 produced via denitrification is converted to NH3 via nitrogen fixation and when in NH4+ form (what I assume majority of toal ammonia to be in OP's tank), it will reacti with NO2 to form N2 again via "ANAEROBIC AMMONIUM OXIDATION" which may explain absence of both NO3 and NO2 which may expalain presence steady [total Ammonia], if memory serves. Just a thought, not saying it is an actual process taking place in OP's tank but worth keeping in mind.

If this is what may also actually be taking place, OP can vacuum portion (1/4 perhaps at a time) of the substrates during wc every two or three days and monitor to detect any possible changes yielded. W/o knowing what, dont want to disturb too much which may yield worst situations/conditions.

If what DrTim said is true that there are 2 strains of Nitrosomonas, tank may need time to reestablish appropriate stains to oxidize NH3 to NO2.
Another concern I have with this scenario is the inhibition of existing Nitrospira/Nitrobacter due to presence of high [total ammonia] which may subsquently limits oxidation of NO2 to a point sudden spike of NO2 is observed as oxidation of NH3 (apparopriate Nitrosomonas) is reestablishing/ed.

Either way, try to avoid any massive/sudden changes at present condition (pH@7.2) as we really dont know exactly what is going on with this tank.

Has small WC/less feeding shown any effects on [NH3]? Any presence of NO2?
Hope pH is very stable at 7.2 as I am more concerned with shifting of pH toward more alkaline side for whatever reasons in presence of any [NH3].

Hope all goes well!

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Did you test your tap water? Maybe the water company just performed a flush of the lines with something weird. You may want to call them and see if they've changed anything recently.
Yes I tested it and it passed the test with no problems.

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
What kind of vacuum do you guys suggest? I really need something that will dig down into the substrate and get out all the junk.

Thx

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
What kind of vacuum do you guys suggest? I really need something that will dig down into the substrate and get out all the junk.

Thx
Python. It connects to your sink so no messes. It drains into your sink and reverses for a quick fill up. A little pricey but so worth the money. Don't forget to adjust your water temp when you refill. Dont want to shock your fishies :)

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Python or any equivalents or even just python vacuum tube with hose attached to it. You can even diy vacuum tube using 20 oz soda bottle or 16 oz/tall dechlorinator bottle and piece of hose for now.
In your case, I would suggest to use vacuum tube and drain into bucket in order to evaluate the drained water, something you can't do when drained directly into sink using the system.

Even when vacuumed bit at a time, for now and until problem is resolved, I would prefer to continue with same method of refilling just to avoid imposing additional factors which may influence the all the possible activities taking place now and/or final outcome as it is puzzling as is to predict what may have took/taking place in the tank..

Still waiting for any changes in pH/NH3/NO2 on daily basis.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
At this point I need to do something so I will look into getting a python vacuum. Thanks for the help everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store