Hillstream loach tank questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Well I received the new powerhead Friday. Nice current...a little too strong but the loaches seem to like it. Tank has an algae bloom so a lot of green spots, especially on the glass. Sold my other light so tank only has 40 watts. Trying to control some of the algae as I don't want algae I cannot control. Been working so I haven't had the time to check up on anything these days. I think my shrimps are missing as I have not seen any of them lately. At least I'll have some money to upgrade my filter and finally get my other gastromyzons I've been wanting. Also need to get some more liquid ferts. I've been using PlantGro NPK but it is not available anymore (my feed store might have some last ones in stock). I'm not too sure about Excel Flourish as I don't want it melting my plants or by adding something new to my tank.

Taken last Friday. New powerhead made a mess of the tank; all clean now though :). Java fern has been dying slowly for some odd reason. The crypt and tiger lotus as been doing great though:

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Received a new Eheim 2215 filter:) for an early birthday present. Will set it up tomorrow during a water change and adding more rocks. Photos tomorrow maybe.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Jeez, why is the filter so confusing. I just cut up the hose into pieces and connected them. Watching set-up videos on YouTube did not work. Book, totally useless. So far so good. I hope it doesn't leak during the night as I think I connected everything correctly. I wanted to use the spray bar but the hose made it stay at a weird angle. Did not have enough time to correct the hose but will try tomorrow or Sunday when I have time and get my room back. Didn't even have time to do a water change.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Some pictures. Water is very clean from the new filter:). Had to scrub off some algae on the glass wall. Spray bar was horizontal yesterday but it's moving. I need more suction cups to hold it in place because the hose I cut to connect the spray bar and other part, bends upward. I might end up taking off the spray bar tomorrow.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho

I like how it is turning out. Just need to finish stocking on some loaches or stiphodon then I'll leave the tank to grow more algae. No more re-scaping. I might remove the tiger lotus out as some of the leaves are melting though.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Really pretty! I have trouble with suction cups too. What is that tube-like thing in the last pic?
Thanks! The pinkish colored tube? It's a veggie holder for the zucchini and other veggies I feed the loaches. I just leave it in the tank as algae grows on it. A fishing line is connected to it so that I don't have to put my hand in the tank to grab it when I need it. Yea I just hate how it doesn't stay in place and I have to fix it. I'll fix it tomorrow before feeding them or drop by the LFS to see if they have any extra suction cups.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Next time you're taking pics could you take 1 of the veggie clip please? I never saw 1 like it...I used dental floss on my clips so I wouldn't have to get so wet too, I don't always want to roll up my sleeves, lol.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I'll take one tomorrow when I fix the spray bar. I bought it from AB username: Rosenthalpottery. They make pleco caves and stuff. I think I bought it for $2 or less. Don't remember the price as it was a couple years ago when I bred bristlenoses.

I'm adding some s. perc in this tank. Just bought some :). Hope they make it through qt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store