Hobby Demographic Poll

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Male or Female?

• Female Nonsmoker

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Female Smoker

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Male Nonsmoker

Votes: 59 48.8%
  • Male Smoker

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
i smell a stalker. ladies be careful. :eek3: LOL

male... smoker... but i don't think this site is the right place for conclusive evidence. our members are a little more advanced, (sometimes) intelligent and probably don't follow the "norm" as the demographic goes.
Agreed that this won't be scientific, and so far the non-smokers are in the lead. However, among the smokers, are more fish deaths caused by high ammonia levels or by accidentally flicking ashes into the tank during water changes????:22_yikes:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i don't think any have died for me due to my ashes. they do seem to like it when i light one up for them and feed the smoke in through the air line. i figure all the mating my guppies do they could use on from time to time. :perv:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Male drinker here. :D

kianna

Keep on swimming
Sep 15, 2008
Lakewood, WA
In a conversation a while back with the owner of an LFS, he told me that most people in the hobby are male, and many are smokers. Not exactly sure where this came from, or where he got this theory but I thought it might be interestesting to test it here on AC ! Thanks for participating.
I've always thought there were more males in the hobby then females but never really considered the smoking part.....interesting poll. It would be interesting to also see male vs female freshwater and male vs female saltwater. :D

JasonO

AC Members
Mar 28, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Male nonsmoker.

When my local aquarium club has auctions its usually only a handful of people that take smoking breaks, so I wouldn't say it's most. However, most are male.

I don't think you are going to get representative data from a poll like this. But its a cool idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store