how did your fishkeeping get started?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hwo did you get started fish keeping

• goldfish from fair or etc

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • freind

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • parent

Votes: 60 20.0%
  • just decided to do try it

Votes: 110 36.7%
  • other

Votes: 66 22.0%

• Total voters

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I literally won a goldfish at the fair in 1968. Been hooked ever since.

Mark

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
My dad kept a 10g tank with no plants, fake or real. It had a dozen Neons in it. And when I was old enough I had to change the water every week. Then the tank broke when we moved. And then 5 years later when I started my first job I bought a 10g from walmart.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
I saw a dragonfish and with all my detasling money I bought a 55 as a first tank. Fish full of personality and odd traits kept me going after I found that they were not suitable for the inviornment. Those fish were an african butterfly, 8" electric catfish (above all), a briliant purplish-blue colored 5" blue crayfish, a4" yoyo loach, 2 2.5" yoyo loach, and a 7" synodontis all at the same time. quit amusing

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
hey Longtime, great gold sevrum in your avatar!

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
Yeah this thread is MAD old (started over a year ago!!).

Friends moved by car from RI to CA. Fish were going to be added to the Providence Sanitation System biotope, so I took them in instead. Got a free tank and equipment, ended up buying some stuff to update the setup.

Started out with 29G I still have. It had stuffed in it (transplanted from a 55G that was too big for my current space) 2 sailfin plecos, an iridescent shark, a powder blue gourami, 2 common crayfish, some zebra danios, 2 redfin sharks, 2 mollies + some fry, two swordtails, & some neons (overstocked just a little?).

The only thing I have left from that shuffle is one crayfish (the other crayfish escaped and dried up behind a bookcase before he was located). The rest of the fish were given away to other people I know with larger setups, and are all still alive last thing I heard.

I was going to start another 29G, but that is on hold. The tank I was going to use that was given to me by my sister and they had left it out in their shed while moving to their new home over the winter last year and the seals are blown (probably had some moisture left in it that froze and pushed the seals apart).

Brody

AC Members
Apr 27, 2005
LV
My roommate said he was going to get a tank. I said cool, assuming it would be a 10 gallon or a goldfish bowl. I came home from work and there was a 29 gallon. I thought it was huge! LOL I was hooked immediately. It was stocked with mixed african cichlids. Learned alot from that tank. A few years went by without a tank, then the fever hit again. I got a 135g and setup a FW stocked with eels, bichers, and catfish (kinda felt more like a snake cage than a tank). I grew bored of this tank and turned into a reef. And could'nt be happier. Next was a 20g planted, that is soon to be alot bigger. :thm: I'm really into creating environments, not just housing fish. Which is why I chose a reef, and plants. Very addictive and satisfying.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
My start

My son was with my Mom, who went to my Aunts house the day she happend to be getting rid of her 30/tank. I got the phone call "Mom can I have this fish tank" with the added "I'll take care of it" ;) They immedetaly went and bought fish, (way to many for the tank of coarse) we ran into MANY problems and well.....here I am :D . With MY fish tank now :Angel:

Got to love it!!!!!!

Gin

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
my father kept and bred discus and angels, as well as mollies since he was 20, he is now 45, so i grew up around fish, i remember wating his discus pairs spawnin, and then a few days later watching them hatch, it was great..so when i was 6 my father bought me a 50 gallon, i had mollies, guppies, swordtails, platies, and a few neons, after that i got hooked on discus and angels, and have been keeping and breeding them ever since

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
My father kept a HUGE tank full of Congo Tetra and some other tetra for all of my childhood. He was a work-oriented businessman in the 80's-early 90's and the only time I spent with my dad was at the LFS. So I gained a mystical happiness whenever I go to a fish store and look around. Then, living in asia I get access to all kinds of great fish so I had to get into it seriously. Ive always kept one tank... But now I have 4 and growing.

Nacho and Taco

Nacho n Taco, Breakfast of champion
Jan 2, 2006
mihigan
It all started from a 50 gallon, We bought an Oscar, Turcoise severom, Jack Dempsey, and a male convict. In about a week the Severom died. I replaced it with a Midas cichlid. We Bought a Pleco and a pictus catfish. In two weeks we up graded to a 100g. We Had then a AQuaclear 500 (now a 110) Then we used our wisper as the backup filter. Then we bought another AC 110 and put it as the secondary filter. we set up a 10g growout tank and put the whisper in there.
The midas started gettin mean so we traded it for a turquoise jewel and a firemouth, green terror and a tinfoil barb. (The Midas was mine, so all those fish are mine). Then we bought a female convict and put the firemouth in the growout tank. then here I am chattin to you! A lot in a year, huh?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store