How often can I clean tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EmaLee

AC Members
May 25, 2006
I have a 29 gallon tank, usual things such as gravel, fake plants, filter and heater. My fish have been dying. Currently have lost 2 fish, a goldfish and the algae eater. My dragon fish looks like he is about to die as well. Hanging out at the surface of tank. There are also two calico fantails in there.

This is the problem, I didn't realize how bad the tank was getting till the water got cloudy (I am new to fishkeeping). I got a vacum and did the best I could yesterday. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Changed out 1/4-1/3 of the water. Put fresh water into the tank with the aqua safe stuff to dechlorinate and all that.

I am really wondering how often can I clean this tank? I don't want to shock the fish. However, it desperately needs more cleaning. So when is the earliest I can do another one?

Thank you so much for any advice.

Jen

dsbrasw

AC Members
Aug 22, 2005
Go ahead and change water/vacuum daily. You may not be able to vaccum all the gravel at one water change, just make sure you get to vacuum all of it over the course of a few days.

How long has the tank been set up? Do you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If your fish are gasping at the surface it sounds like ammonia or nitrite poisoning. If ammonia and/or nitrites are high, you need to do a large water change. We really need more info to be able to help you!

EmaLee

AC Members
May 25, 2006
answers and a new question

dsbrasw said:
How long has the tank been set up? Do you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If your fish are gasping at the surface it sounds like ammonia or nitrite poisoning. If ammonia and/or nitrites are high, you need to do a large water change. We really need more info to be able to help you!
Tank has been setup for about a month. No, I haven't tested for any of those things and just learned about the water testing available today (reading a website). I will be getting a kit to test the water this afternoon, if they have one. Yes, the dragon fish is gasping at surface.

I also read that having too much gravel can cause problems. I think our gravel is too deep. There was a lot of waste in it.

I guess this is my new question then. Should I just remove the fish temporarily, then resetup the tank with all new water (after cleaning everything of course)? Or would this be too much for them?

Thanks for the information :) I really appreciate the help.

Jen

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Jen,

Is that a dragon goby you are referring to? If it is, it *will* die. Dragon or violet gobies are brackish water fish and must be kept in brackish water tanks. This means the addition of marine salt, not aquarium salt.

Unless you are prepared to get another tank and make it into a brackish one, you should try to take the dragon goby back.

It also sounds like your tank is overstocked, which also may be part of the problem. Three goldfish is too much for a 29g tank. They need at least 15-20gallons per fish. They produce a LOT of waste and it's probably one of the reasons your tank's gravel is in such a mess.

Do a water change as soon as you can and vacuum the gravel. Test the water and post here, please.`

EDIT: phone rang while I was writing this.

Also, please read this article on cycling your tank:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64301

Most likely your tank is not cycled at all.

Roan

Last edited:

EmaLee

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Roan Art said:
Jen,

Is that a dragon goby you are referring to? If it is, it *will* die.

It also sounds like your tank is overstocked, which also may be part of the problem. Three goldfish is too much for a 29g tank. They need at least 15-20gallons per fish. They produce a LOT of waste and it's probably one of the reasons your tank's gravel is in such a mess.

[Roan
Yes I do believe it is a goby, sadly I wish I had known more about it when I got it. I got my fish at Wal-Mart. They don't know much about fish themselves.

Overstocked? I just got the goldfish less than a week ago.

EDIT: Got the calico fantails less than a week ago. The first goldfish, that died we got originally. Looked like the goby tried to eat it, but we aren't sure.

I wasn't aware gold fish took up so much tank. I don't believe they had much to do with the problem. I think overfeeding (too much flake stuff) and the fact I didn't think I had to vacum so often caused this.

Thank you I will read the article about cycling.

Jen

Last edited:

EmaLee

AC Members
May 25, 2006
happychem said:
Deep gravel is not likely to cause a problem. Right now, do plenty of water changes, but don't stress on the gravel cleaning. How deep is your substrate?
It is a little bit higher than the black trim on the tank (about a couple inches deep).

Jen

EmaLee

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Okay, did a large water change. About 2/3's of the tank, had fish in some medium sized jars while i did it. Ran the vacum through the gravel about 3 times, got to the point there wasn't much coming up from the gravel.

Going to an aquarium place this afternoon when it opens. They have saltwater stuff there, but used to have stuff for freshwater tanks I guess. I am going see what i can find out from them.

Jen

TankManATL

Pimp And Player.....You Can Be 1 2
Apr 11, 2006
Spring Hood,Fl
hey dont worry about your dragon goby in the freshwater...ive had mine for months in a 29g fresh..i have 2 of them they love caves and love bloodworms and shrimp pellets.......dont listing to rose art or what ever her name is...its your fish..your tank...do what u want with your money

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
TankManATL said:
hey dont worry about your dragon goby in the freshwater...ive had mine for months in a 29g fresh..i have 2 of them they love caves and love bloodworms and shrimp pellets.......dont listing to rose art or what ever her name is...its your fish..your tank...do what u want with your money
Sure, she can do what she wants with them. She can make that decision once she has all the facts. The fact is they are brackish water fish, not fresh water, and they will die very early from being kept in fresh water.

You can do what you want with yours as well. If you want to shorten their lifespans by keeping them in freshwater, that's your perogative.

Also, you said "I've had mine for months in a 29g fresh". Months? You've had your fish about 2 months. This is based on your first post which indicated you'd had them three weeks. You were also told at that point they they were brackish and you said you knew that. When you were asked why you knowingly purchased a bw fish and put it in fw, you didn't bother to reply.

It's one thing to mistakenly buy a fish and put it in the wrong environment, it's quite another to buy one KNOWING that you do not have the means to keep it and/or have no intention of providing the means.

I really hope you don't believe that having the fish for two months in freshwater is a good indicator of their longevity.

Roan

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store