I'm feeling confused/defeated...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
But these "moonlight" gourami you saw were the ones you posted a pic of? That is very much not a moonlight - they're silvery colored.

Pearls are peaceful & can be shy. They do not need others, but it's recommended that if you are going to have more than one you should get a mix of 1m/2f.

Yes. That picture I posted is pretty much exactly like the pair of gouramis that I think Im going to get. What are they?? do you know?? :) Pretty arent they? Im excited again! :D A new plan.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
So, just to be clear....

a pearl and 2 moonlight gouramis, a group of about 7 - 10 ghost catfish, ARE compatible, and would do fine in a 55 gallon tank??

As well, as I should consider getting a loach of some type, a zebra, or a yo-yo for the alge?...

now.. my question is.... are those fish compatible with say, a single red tail shark, or maybe a few small catfish, or some other type of shark??
Please don't get loaches just for algae - for one thing they're not a good choice for that. I think the suggestion was for if you wanted bottom swimmers. Corydoras are an affordable (+ cute wigglebutts) option, great peaceful community fish! Yoyo loaches can become aggressive to other fish.

Red tailed sharks are semi-aggressive & should be in a tank with similar tempered fish. Not a good mix with pearl gourami, IMO.

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
Jiddle, as your friend, and someone who knows a decent amount about fish, this is my vote...

2 angel fish
7 ghost glass cats
2 albino bristlenose plecos
6 kuhli loaches
2 moonlight gouramis
:)
That is a nice list. But what about that beautiful pearl gourami?? Maybe that, and a mate, but no angels.... or is that not as visually stimulating to not have angels?
I do want that pearl for sure tho.... so we need to add it (how do we know if they are girls or boys?)

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
Please don't get loaches just for algae - for one thing they're not a good choice for that. I think the suggestion was for if you wanted bottom swimmers. Corydoras are an affordable (+ cute wigglebutts) option, great peaceful community fish! Yoyo loaches can become aggressive to other fish.

Red tailed sharks are semi-aggressive & should be in a tank with similar tempered fish. Not a good mix with pearl gourami, IMO.
Corydoras are cute! The leapord cory cat is especially cute. :) good suggestion.
Wiggle butt? Their butts wiggle?? That is awsome haha

okay, no sharks. I dont want them to be mean to the others. And I am definately leaning towards a more peaceful tank.

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
Fishycat, I just saw the pics of V. what a beautiful fish! I have had such bad luck with my Bettas in the last few weeks. I was following petcetra advise and keeping them in 3lt betta tanks, and they were all dying. Now Im hesitant to get another when my 10 gallon tank finishes cycling, because Im afraid it will die. they are so pretty and by far my favorite fish.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I love my pearl gouramis, however you do want to be careful with them a bit. Two males in the same tank can spell trouble and you will need to have a decent amount of decor available (or some other fish) that will keep them from fighting. I actually have two males in a heavily planted 55, and the presence of the second male does tend to bring both of them out of hiding, however the one is definitely dominant and they generally spend most of their time on opposite ends of the tank.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
:)
That is a nice list. But what about that beautiful pearl gourami?? Maybe that, and a mate, but no angels.... or is that not as visually stimulating to not have angels?
I do want that pearl for sure tho.... so we need to add it (how do we know if they are girls or boys?)
If you want a couple nice large display fish, as you had invisioned, I think you should pick angels. They're relatively intelligent and personable fish (as most cichlids are) and you can count on them to be up and out in the open on display. I haven't had gouramis since I was a teenager but if I remember correctly they swim around randomly doing their own thing.

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
If you want a couple nice large display fish, as you had invisioned, I think you should pick angels. They're relatively intelligent and personable fish (as most cichlids are) and you can count on them to be up and out in the open on display. I haven't had gouramis since I was a teenager but if I remember correctly they swim around randomly doing their own thing.
Okay. I just did some reading on the black lace angel fish... they sound nice. :) and it says they are compatible with gouramis, so thats a big bonus.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I think that picture is colisa lalia, aka dwarf gourami, not thick lipped.

Colisa lalia is pretty, but can be sickly from overbreeding as Platytudes mentioned. Be sure to find good healthy stock, preferably from a local breeder. Again, 1m/2f is a better combination to spread out the male's attention.

I would not combine angels & gourami, personally. Two different "centerpiece"-type fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store