I'm feeling confused/defeated...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Fishycat, I just saw the pics of V. what a beautiful fish! I have had such bad luck with my Bettas in the last few weeks. I was following petcetra advise and keeping them in 3lt betta tanks, and they were all dying. Now Im hesitant to get another when my 10 gallon tank finishes cycling, because Im afraid it will die. they are so pretty and by far my favorite fish.
Thanks, I still miss V. I love all my bettas and encourage you to have faith! In a 10g with clean warm filtered water & some plants to lounge on, that's a paradise for a betta!

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
I think that picture is colisa lalia, aka dwarf gourami, not thick lipped.

Colisa lalia is pretty, but can be sickly from overbreeding as Platytudes mentioned. Be sure to find good healthy stock, preferably from a local breeder. Again, 1m/2f is a better combination to spread out the male's attention.

I would not combine angels & gourami, personally. Two different "centerpiece"-type fish.
That's what i was thinking, that they are two different type of display fish. That's where Im stuck. Both pretty, but different.

I wouldnt have a clue where to find a local breeder of that particular type of gourami. I just saw them together in a tank at a local pet store and thought they were beautiful.

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks, I still miss V. I love all my bettas and encourage you to have faith! In a 10g with clean warm filtered water & some plants to lounge on, that's a paradise for a betta!
Im sorry you lost V. They are such beautiful fish. Easy to grow attached to
I will try again once this tank is cycled. :)
I also want to get 2 dwarf frogs. I plan on taking my 2 nephews to pick one each, that they keep in my tank with my betta. Id love to get the boys interested in aquariums and such.

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
I highly recommend pearl gouramis. It's fairly easy to tell the boys from the girls if they've reached adolescense. The boys will have a much oranger/redder throat, while the girls are more silvery. I had a male-female pair for several months in a 29-gallon, which turned out to be too small a tank (at least for my pair). They're very graceful, calm fish. You might be better off getting two females for one male. I also like moonlight gouramis, but I've never had them before. I do know that they can eventually grow to 5 - 6 inches -- a truly beautiful shimmering sight, but with that potential size, you want to take care that you'll have enough swimming room in your tank once everyone reaches maturity. By the way, you're tanks are both lovely! Can't wait to see more pics after you've finished stocking.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Talk to your local fish store about their quarantine procedure & general health of the colisa lalia. If you trust them, and they're not too pricey, I'd try it. You may want to read a bit on colisa lalia so you can recognize if they are sick.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
I wouldnt have a clue where to find a local breeder of that particular type of gourami. I just saw them together in a tank at a local pet store and thought they were beautiful.
There's three fish stores between Netwon and Scott Road that we might want to check out. They were closed last night so I didn't mention them. I know at least two of them have nice gouramis. It's good to know which store you're going to buy what fish at when the big day arrives. You should drive out here again today!

:eek:mg:

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
There's three fish stores between Netwon and Scott Road that we might want to check out. They were closed last night so I didn't mention them. I know at least two of them have nice gouramis. It's good to know which store you're going to buy what fish at when the big day arrives. You should drive out here again today!

:eek:mg:
maybe I will..... :lol2: but they have to be the colored ones like we saw yesterday. I definately like those.

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
I highly recommend pearl gouramis. It's fairly easy to tell the boys from the girls if they've reached adolescense. The boys will have a much oranger/redder throat, while the girls are more silvery. I had a male-female pair for several months in a 29-gallon, which turned out to be too small a tank (at least for my pair). They're very graceful, calm fish. You might be better off getting two females for one male. I also like moonlight gouramis, but I've never had them before. I do know that they can eventually grow to 5 - 6 inches -- a truly beautiful shimmering sight, but with that potential size, you want to take care that you'll have enough swimming room in your tank once everyone reaches maturity. By the way, you're tanks are both lovely! Can't wait to see more pics after you've finished stocking.
2 females to 1 male to keep the agrression down???

thanks for the tips on telling apart a male from a female. I will pay attention to that today if I go looking.

Thanks for the compliment on the tanks. :) I realllly cant wait to add fish to them. SOON! I hope!

Omega, should I bring water samples again today?

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
:)
That is a nice list. But what about that beautiful pearl gourami?? Maybe that, and a mate, but no angels.... or is that not as visually stimulating to not have angels?
I do want that pearl for sure tho.... so we need to add it (how do we know if they are girls or boys?)
Sorry that's what I mean't, the pearl gourami. It doesn't grow as big and aggressive.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store